Chocolate Bows?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 23 May 2007 , 2:00pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 7

does anyone know how to make the chocolate bows? Are they made with candy melts? Again I am going to reference frostings with flair because I love the cakes so much... icon_redface.gif !

http://www.frostingwithflair.com/html/cakes/html/multi/html/birthday_bow.html

6 replies
suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry, can't help with your question, but what cute cakes on that site.

susan

Erika1276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika1276 Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 7

Wow, they have some cute cakes. I love all the little chocolate shapes, they look flat, not from molds. If you find out how they do that I would love to know!

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 7

NO IDEA.....BUT I WOULD GUESS THAT THEY POUR IT FLAT - CUT IT IN STRIPS AND LAY IT OVER SOMETHING TO DRY AND PINCH THE ENDS TOGETHER. BUT IF YOU FIND OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 7

I believe you make just as you would make a regular gumpaste bow. Use acetate sheets instead. Cut a strip the size you want the bow loops to be. Apply a thin layer of melted chocolate (yes, you can use candy melts. It might be easier with candy melts since you won't have to worry about tempering them) and then fold them in half and join the two end so that the chocolate is touching. Then refrigerate on its side until it hardens and peel off the acetate. With this said, it's pretty hard not to get breakage. I would recommend to cut the ends of the acetate template in a v shape since you can't do it the way it's explained in the tutorial for the gumpaste bow and maybe tape it shut at the end since it's hard to keep it together (the acetate is sturdier than the chocolate transfer sheets which is what I've used in the past). Does this make sense? I'm not very good at giving directions.

Inma

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 7

The cakes are really cute, love all the choc decorations. I would also like to know how to make a choc bow.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika1276

Wow, they have some cute cakes. I love all the little chocolate shapes, they look flat, not from molds. If you find out how they do that I would love to know!

The images are chocolate transfers. I have quite a few examples in my photos. Here is a tutorial

http://www.geocities.com/heathers_cakes2000/chocolatedemo.html?1109787013625

thanks for the advice. i was thinking acetate also, but i just couldnt figure exactly how it was done. They just look so clean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%