Directions On Sculpting A Fish Cake

Decorating By s_raines Updated 24 Jun 2006 , 7:16pm by SpudCake

s_raines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_raines Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone tell me or send me directions on how to make a fish cake. I have tried to do a search but the forums will not let me do it. I have to do this cake in August and I need to practice. TIA

5 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 6

What kind of fish? I did a walleye but he turned chubby! You can see it on my website in the whimsical cake gallery.
www.cakesbymaryann.com

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 6

I would love to know how to do this too. One of my friends just asked me to do one in September for a man who loves to fish.

s_raines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_raines Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 6

any kind of fish. I just need to kow the basic like how to sculpt and how to do the mouth and fins.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 6

I made mine from a chocolate cake. I baked a 10x10 cake off and split it equally. Taking the two pieces make one long cake. I torte a fill the cakes and chill them. I sculpt the basic shape of the fish with a serrated knife. Crumb coat entire fish. I covered mine in fondant. To make fins like the top fins and belly fins. I cut the shaped from fondant also. I let these air dry so they can be inserted into the cake. To get the detail I use fondant tools. Score where the gills are and make eye using a ball tool. To makes scales take a round tip like a ten or larger and insert into the fodant a million zillion times! Do not put scales on the belly! To paint my fish I used brown gel paste and green gel paste mixed with drinking alcohol. This is sooooo easy! To get some gold I used super gold to add the metallic sheen on the fish. paint the fish and insert the fins. Be sure to paint the under side of the fin before you insert it. For the eye fill with small amount of piping gel and add an eyeball! I am sure I forgot something so let me know!

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 6

The fish cake in my pics is made from a 9x13 that I carved the shape of the fish. If you are interested I can tell you more. usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%