Want To Start A Cake Business, Need Advice Please

Business By x_no_one_x Updated 21 May 2005 , 6:32pm by Lisa

x_no_one_x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
x_no_one_x Posted 21 May 2005 , 5:00am
post #1 of 3

I am new to decorating, and not particulary talented, but i really need some money, and i would like to begin selling cakes out of my home.

so my questions are:

What legal (if any things) do i need to do to begin this?

How many items should i put on my menu to begin with?

Would using splenda as a healthier option for added cost be profitable?

What about egg substitute or milk substitute?

Would cake mix cakes be acceptable, or should i only include from scratch?

HOw much should i charge?

AM i allowed to have a business name, and if so any ideas?

What type of advertising am i allowed to do?

What basic tools do i need? (please include only extremely basics, as i cant afford much.)

What other advice do you have?

And if it makes a difference, (background info.) I live in a small town in Virginia, and I am 16, so i cant drive on my own yet. The closet store witha good wilton or cake decorating section is an hour and a half away. I do have a wal-mart with a craft section, that has limited wilton supplies though. I am currently decorating with a pampered chef "easy accent" decorator (which i loathe) and i ahve a mini sports ball pan, a mini tart pan, and regular cake and muffin plans. I also want to include baklava on my menu, and hopefully learn muffin amking if i can find a good recipe. (a healthier menu??) I plan on advertising my cakes by taking some to my wednesday night dinners at my church.

2 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 21 May 2005 , 5:31am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_no_one_x

I am new to decorating, and not particulary talented, but i really need some money, and i would like to begin selling cakes out of my home.

so my questions are:

What legal (if any things) do i need to do to begin this?

Legalities differ from state to state and even from county to county. You can contact your county health dept for more info on this. Being that you're 16 and just starting out--keep it small and among family and friends. Becoming legal is usually very expensive and involved.

Quote:

How many items should i put on my menu to begin with?

I would keep it simple to start. Just a few flavors of cake, fillings and frostings. Maybe a specialty cake or two.

Quote:

Would using splenda as a healthier option for added cost be profitable?

No...unless asked and then charge accordingly.

Quote:

What about egg substitute or milk substitute?

Not unless asked.

Quote:

Would cake mix cakes be acceptable, or should i only include from scratch?

Mixes are fine. You can doctor them if you want more variety or more of a from scratch taste.

Quote:

HOw much should i charge?

Some use the 3X method which is to charge 3X what it costs you to make a cake/item. Others use a pricing matrix. If you need one, just ask. Several members have copies they share. I don't have one.

Quote:

What type of advertising am i allowed to do?

Bring a cake everywhere you can and advertise by word of mouth. Give flyers to friends and family.

Quote:

What basic tools do i need? (please include only extremely basics, as i cant afford much.)

Decorating bags, couplers, assortment of tips, coloring pastes, angled spatula, pans to make sheet cakes, cake boards, cake boxes, How To cake decorating book/magazine (should be able to find most at Walmart).

With time and the right tools, you can teach yourself to be a great decorator. I hope you're able to make some money and enjoy it. Good luck! I know you'll have a lot of great advice coming your way.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 21 May 2005 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 3

I forgot about this...it's a free How To cake decorating book. It's put out by 4H and Wilton. Might help you get started.

http://www.uwyo.edu/ces/wyo4h/4-HWebsite/Publications/cake-decorating.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%