Question On A Wedding Cupcake Tree......

Decorating By mymichelle04 Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 9:57pm by sweetsbyjen

mymichelle04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymichelle04 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 13

Quick question here... I've been looking at people's cupcake trees for weddings and was wondering what you all suggest to the bride about "cutting the cake"? I have seen some trees that have the small cake at the top of the tree, does the bride and groom cut that? What do you offer for the "top of the cake" for them to freeze for the anniversary?

12 replies
SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 13

That's a great question, mymichelle. I've only done one cupcake wedding, so I cant help you there. The one I did was informal and eveyone just went up to the table and had a cupcake.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 13

Usually the top of the cake is saved for the anniversary? And the nice thing bout cupcake trees is that you can always have backstock of cupcakes and they don't all have to be out on the display. As for "cutting" the cake? I think that they could take a single cupcake or maybe two cupcakes and peel the paper off together and then smash it into each others mouths or cut the one in half and do it that way. Just a thought.

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 13

I've never done one so I can't really help, but my idea is that you make 2 small scakes. One that sits on top that they can keep, and another that looks just like it sitting to the side that they can cut and feed each other. Or vise versa.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 13

kellie that sounds like a great idea

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 13

I'm doing a cupcake wedding in about a month and the top cake will be the one that the bride and groom will cut at the wedding. They weren't really interested in having an anniversary cake, so that won't be an issue.

I think if they did want an anniversary cake I would have made a small cake, maybe a six-inch round, that matched the other cake.

mymichelle04 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 13

Sammy, when comes time to cut the cake, will they be taking the cake off the top to cut, or will it be okay to cut while still sitting on top?

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 13

I would take it off the display to cut it. Make sure it is on a seperate piece of cardboard.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 13

When i did my cupcake tree. the Bride and Groom picked up the top cupcake and fed a bite to each other... the pictures were of both hands touching the cupcake while it was still on the stand. it was still as pretty as the traditonal.

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymichelle04

Sammy, when comes time to cut the cake, will they be taking the cake off the top to cut, or will it be okay to cut while still sitting on top?

We're using the Wilton tall-tier cake stand, but won't be using all the tiers. The bottom three are going to be filled with cupcakes, and the next level will have an 8-inch round cake. Since we're not using all the tiers, the top cake will be at about shoulder level with the bride and groom, so I think we'll ***carefully*** cut it right on the stand.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 13

If you want them to have an anniversary cake, why don't you just make a small anniversary cake and box it up for them? I've heard some decorators do that and leave it under the cake table for them to take later. Or it could be kept in the kitchen at the reception site. That way they could cut the small cake on top for pictures and such and maybe serve it to the wedding party or something.

mymichelle04 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 13

Such great ideas everyone... thanks for the input! =)

sweetsbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyjen Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 13

Another question, my bride and groom want to cut the cake together, do I take the cake off the top of the stand and have them cut it or just do it on the stand with the cupcakes? My concern is the stand is cardboard and it might not be as sturdy when they press down with the knife. They want to do a traditional cake cutting for photography purposes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%