Sheet Cake - How Many Wedding Servings??

Decorating By sugartopped Updated 17 Jul 2006 , 12:18am by sugartopped

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 10

Anyone know how many servings you would get out of an 11 x 15 sheet cake for a wedding??

The wilton shows 60 servings for party cakes.

9 replies
fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:29am
post #2 of 10

You would get appx 40 servings (2x2" squares) from an 11x15 single layer sheet. I guess you could cut them smaller, but 2x2 is a rather small piece of cake IMO. I think Wilton's reference is to a 2-layer 11x15 sheet. Hope this is helpful.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:40am
post #3 of 10

I was curious as to what a "wedding size" piece of cake was. I googled it. The general concensus is 1x2" slice of a 2 layer cake. WOW! That's really small. You can tell I've never done a wedding cake.
Good luck.

PS-I think I'll go have a wedding size piece of cake. LOL!!!

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:50am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbunny

Anyone know how many servings you would get out of an 11 x 15 sheet cake for a wedding??

The wilton shows 60 servings for party cakes.

If your going to be doing a sheet cake for a wedding you really should do a double layer cake so the guests can't tell the difference between the wedding cake and the kitchen cake. How many servings do you need?

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:01am
post #5 of 10

You know, this brings to mind a story. I was working at a Baskin Robbins and a lady came in to order cake. Obviously, the first question is how many do you want to serve? The lady said 15, I believe. My boss showed her a cake. The lady said "We will need more cake than that." My boss said "No, this cake will serve that many." The lady insisted she would need more cake. We lost that sale. I think the most important thing is to listen to your customer. If she says "We will need more cake than that," she will need more cake than that. LOL

A typical slice of wedding cake is a 1 x 2 slice of two-layer, not much cake. I think this assumes that that slice of cake follows a nicely catered meal. It would go to figure that you need more cake for a cake and punch reception. A finger food reception might also need more cake. When I meet with someone, I spend quite a bit of time discussing servings.

Above all, you gotta listen to your customer, especially when it comes to servings, is what I have found.

sugartopped Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:49am
post #6 of 10

well it will be two layers w/one layer of filling. but she is actually trying to get as much cake/servings as she can in as little cake as possible (if that makes sense.....in other words...she's on a budget)!

She needs to serve 180-200. she said she is going to have the cake cut super small anyway and when i explained a wedding serving is 1 x 2....she was fine w/that.

her actual wedding cake will be 3 tiers (10" square, 8" heart, and 6" round). Which is ~ 65-75 servings. And I was going to make two sheet cakes 11 x 15 which on the wilton site says ~60 PARTY servings cut at 2x2 servings.

or would it be better to do one 12 x 18....i don't have that pan, but could get it.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 10

The reason that wedding cake servings are so small has a two-fold reason, I believe.

Reason one is that wedding cake is supposed to be denser and richer so a 1x2 inch slice is enough.

Reason two I believe is that wedding cake is a treat, not a dessert. It's symbolic of fertility for the new couple, historically.

Rachel

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 10

You'll get about 82 1x2in servings from a 11x15in and about 108 from a 12x18in (both double layered). Hope that helps!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 10

another reason is that most wedding cakes are double layer and taller than most sheet cakes which are usually just torted and filled or not filled at all. So you actually have a min. of 4 inch tall cake as compared to 2 inch min tall cake.

sugartopped Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 12:18am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

You'll get about 82 1x2in servings from a 11x15in and about 108 from a 12x18in (both double layered). Hope that helps!

thanks for the info everyone.....

bonjovibabe....just wondering how you figured out the serving sizes above?? ----Nevermind.....just a little simple math involved!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif duh!

thanks,
christine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%