Question From The Whimsical Bakehouse Book

Baking By diana Updated 29 Jun 2006 , 7:09pm by ckkerber

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 7:57pm
post #31 of 42

That is soooooo cute. You did a lovely job!!!! I love all the color and the flowers and bow are perfect!!!

Cindy

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 8:09pm
post #32 of 42

Awesome cake....job well done..it's beautiful

diana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 2:09pm
post #33 of 42

OMG!! That cake is soooo pretty thumbs_up.gif . I did the "Chocolate Chip Pound Cake" this weekend and it was very good, but it had cream cheese and it was a little bit strong in flavor for me but my husband loved it, I did it in the bundt pan and put some ganache over it. Yummy icon_razz.gif

~Diana~ birthday.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 2:27pm
post #34 of 42

Thank you for your compliments. I had company last night and so I put together a left over cake with my left over frosting. It was 90 degree's or more yesterday and my frosting was melting off of the cake and that was in my airconditioned house! So I found out this frosting is not heat tolerant. I hope the cake I made for my customer did okay! I may call her today to see how it did.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 4:24pm
post #35 of 42

Has anyone made the cheesecake recipes from WBH?

They sound so yummy, but one of the pictures sort of made it appear more fudge-like than cheesecake, but that could just be the photography.

lehall2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lehall2006 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #36 of 42

Hi everyone,

I use the House Buttercream almost exclusively -- it's light and fluffy and seems to be just sweet enough for most people without creating a sugar rush. I especially like to use it as a filling.

I do NOT advise using it to make roses, though. Even if you chill it first, it softens up quickly and the petals don't hold their shape well. (I mix up a batch of crusting bc to make my roses and then pop them in the freezer until I'm ready to decorate.)

I'm also a fan of the chocolate wafers and have used the WB wafer method for several cakes. It's suprisingly easy and tastes pretty good, too. (Caution: the melted chocolate hardens quickly, so if you don't have a hot plate, make sure to use plastic or parchment cones so you can re-microwave as needed. )

Rodneyck, I've made the peanut butter cheesecake and it got mixed reviews. My DH loved it, but another friend thought it was too rich. It definitely had a dense, fudgey texture.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:06pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehall2006

Rodneyck, I've made the peanut butter cheesecake and it got mixed reviews. My DH loved it, but another friend thought it was too rich. It definitely had a dense, fudgey texture.

That is what I thought, thanks for the response. I like the New York style cheesecakes myself, so maybe if I have some extra cream cheese (like that is going to happen, lol) then I will try one from WBH just to see.

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 3:23pm
post #38 of 42

Thank You ckkerber

very nice cake ladyonzlake

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 3:37pm
post #39 of 42

WOW - ladyonzlake Your cake turned out wonderful. I also have the book, and love just looking at it. I have tried a couple of the recipes and thought they turned out kind of dry and crumbly -but I have to admit I did not use cake flour which I think would have made a difference, and I may have cooked a little to long, so while not burnt, a little dry.
Thanks for the tip on making your own cake flour Rodneyck - I will be trying the recipes again with cake flour!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 6:23am
post #40 of 42

I made a fun cake this weekend using the chocolate transfers (and the House Buttercream . . . yum!). My siblings and I were all at my parents house with all of the grandkids (it's rare to get us all together) so I wanted to make a cake to celebrate our mini-reunion. I made chocolate transfers of all of the grandkids, as well as a sandcastle, fish, crabs, and a cat. For my sandcastle, I piped the outline and then sprinkled crushed graham crackers on the waxed paper. Then, I covered the graham crackers with the sand colored chocolate so I ended up with a textured chocolate piece. For the fish and the crabs, I was very much inspired by bizgriff97's sandcastle cake. The cat was for my one sister who doesn't have kids so she'd have representation on the cake, too. In retrospect I wouldn't have made the cake so busy, and secondly when piping two of each image to place them back to back, I should have done a "front" and "Back" for each child rather than two fronts. Oops! I also would like to know if anyone has done back to back chocolate transfers because I have trouble keeping the backs flat. The chocolate builds up and when I sandwich two pieces, I end up with a gap and you can easily see the buttercream that is sandwiched between. Anyway, this was such a fun cake to do since it was so personal. And each of my kids / nieces / nephews thoroughly enjoyed "eating" themselves!
LL
LL
LL
LL

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:19pm
post #41 of 42

uhuhuhhhhh!
that is so cute
I have not had ant time to try anthing yet I can't waiticon_wink.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 7:09pm
post #42 of 42

This is a very modified version of one of the WBH cakes . . . I was really happy with how it turned out. In my photos, I have a few other cakes that I've done with the chocolate transfer method, too. The baby shower cake was another very modified version of what I saw in the WBH. There is also the dragon and the Spongebob cakes. I really do love this book, as you can see! I'm just going to keep practicing!
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%