Best Printer For Edible Images?

Decorating By LuvCakes Updated 21 May 2007 , 10:40pm by idoweddingcookies

LuvCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvCakes Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:21am
post #1 of 19

Are any of the new Canon printers compatible for the edible inks? I am looking to buy a system. What do you guys have? What's the best printer to buy for edible images?

TIA,

Luvcakes

18 replies
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 19

Bump

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvCakes

Are any of the new Canon printers compatible for the edible inks? I am looking to buy a system. What do you guys have? What's the best printer to buy for edible images?

TIA,

Luvcakes

Currently Kopykake does not have edible ink cartridges for the new Canon printers. I just purchased the Epson C88+ and the edible ink cartridges and frosting sheets for that. So far, it's working wonderfully.

LuvCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvCakes Posted 19 May 2007 , 4:15am
post #4 of 19

Thanks alot!

Ladyfett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfett Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:26am
post #5 of 19

I have a canon IP 4200. kopykake has a list of compadible inks, but it takes some work. Give them a call and they will definately give you the details. Go to the page below and click on the Click here to view Edible Ink Tank / Printer Cross Reference at the top of the screen. It will give you more info.

http://www.kopykake.com/pc_edible_ink.html

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:42am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvCakes

TIA,

Luvcakes

Currently Kopykake does not have edible ink cartridges for the new Canon printers. I just purchased the Epson C88+ and the edible ink cartridges and frosting sheets for that. So far, it's working wonderfully.

I was going to buy the Epson C88+ tomorrow, so do you recommed it, and do you buy your ink from Kopykake?

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:48am
post #7 of 19

I have the Epson c88+, and it works great! No problems yet. I use mine alot!

agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 21 May 2007 , 12:45pm
post #8 of 19

I have the canon mp600. I haven't used it yet though so I don't know how well it prints. For the price it better be good.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 May 2007 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 19

Hello "idoweddingcookies",
Yes I would recommend the Epson C88+. I am working my way through my first pack of edible ink cartridges and frosting sheets that I ordered from Kopykake. I would also recommend Kopykake, because I bugged them for almost 2 months with questions before I made a purchase and they were great. I contacted a couple of other places and they have yet to respond to me and that's been months ago. When I first put the edible ink cartridges in the Epson C88+, the printer would not recognize the cartridges and would not print. I called Kopykake and had to leave a message with their tech support person. Surprisingly, he called me back very quickly (I mean within the hour). There was a problem with the cartridges that I had received so Kopykake had me take the microchips off the Epson cartridges and place them on Kopykake's cartridges. They walked me through this and everything has been working fine.

agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 21 May 2007 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Hello "idoweddingcookies",
Yes I would recommend the Epson C88+. I am working my way through my first pack of edible ink cartridges and frosting sheets that I ordered from Kopykake. I would also recommend Kopykake, because I bugged them for almost 2 months with questions before I made a purchase and they were great. I contacted a couple of other places and they have yet to respond to me and that's been months ago. When I first put the edible ink cartridges in the Epson C88+, the printer would not recognize the cartridges and would not print. I called Kopykake and had to leave a message with their tech support person. Surprisingly, he called me back very quickly (I mean within the hour). There was a problem with the cartridges that I had received so Kopykake had me take the microchips off the Epson cartridges and place them on Kopykake's cartridges. They walked me through this and everything has been working fine.

I have a question. I have not put my ink in my printer yet because I'm afraid of it drying out. Have you ever had this problem? or when your not using the printer can you take the ink out an seal it up again so this doesn't happen?

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 21 May 2007 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 19

a bump for a gagnier's question but also...

When you cut into an edible paper that has been placed on a cake,
do you notice the paper or has it sort of melded with the icing. (Maybe stupid ? but I've never actually eaten edible paper lol).

adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 May 2007 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 19

Hello agagnier,
I'm not sure how fast the ink will dry out. When I am not using my printer, I wrap the entire printer in plastic. I mainly do this to keep it extra clean and dust free. I don't plan to remove my cartridges and store them separately. That never seemed to preserve the life of my regular ink cartridges.

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4luvscakes

I have the Epson c88+, and it works great! No problems yet. I use mine alot!

I just purchased the epson c88 (by the suggestion of the person at kopy kakes). On average how many sheets can you print out with one set of cartiges??

Thanks

diana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 19

Where did you buy the printer?

disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 19

I have the Cannon IP6000D and I love it.. prints great and has never clogged.

Trick to keeping it from drying out and clogging is to run a test print at least once a week...

Good luck

adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:31pm
post #16 of 19

1. How many sheets can I print with a set of cartridges?

The Two (2) Kartridge Set #KJKCSET, for the smaller Canon Printers should yield approximately 30-40 prints. The Four (4) Kartridge Tank Set 6000-SET for the later model Canon Printers should yield approximately 85-100 prints.

REMEMBER: These are estimates, and will vary with color intensity and sizes of the finished images.

http://www.kopykake.com/pc_faqs.html#5-2

joynach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joynach Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:38pm
post #17 of 19

I have the epson cx7800, the pictures turn out better than printed pics from a regular printer on glossy paper. when not in use i put scotch tape over the tiny holes at the top of the cartridges, and cover the printer in a plastic sheet, i have never had any trouble with this system. my edible ink and icing sheets i get from kopy kake. hope this helps.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:39pm
post #18 of 19

I have found frosting sheets blend perfectly into the frosting if your frosting has not crusted.

4. With what types and brands of frosting do Kopykake Frosting Sheets work best?

Fresh Buttercream or Non-Dairy topping, Fondant, Marzipan, even Ice Cream. It is recommeded that you do not put the Frosting Sheets directly on a high moisture base, such as whipped creams. You may fill cakes with whipped cream, but use a thin layer of buttercream uder the actual Frosting Sheet.

http://www.kopykake.com/pc_faqs.html#5-2

Also you can buy the Epson C88+ at http://www.epson.com/

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:40pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks to everyone for the great tips. thumbs_up.gif Off to Staples to buy the C88 and then over to Kopykake to make an order.

Kim icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%