Any Body Tried Wilton Color Spray?

Decorating By mareg Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm by KrissieCakes

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 11

I'm thinking of spraying my "Nightmare Before Christmas" cake with the Wilton sprays in the can. Does the black and orange make the BC tase funny or weird? Does it spray evenly?

Sorry about all the questions. I don't have a spray gun and think that the spray look would be cool.

10 replies
kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 11

I have used it. As for taste, I don't think it alters the taste of icing. Does it spray evenly-not really, but it's not too bad either icon_confused.gif Sometimes there are bigger "dots" of spray-does that make any sense? If I were you, I'd spray it on a piece of poster board, or evem plain copy paper to see if it's okay for your need. Personally I wouldn't use on a really "important" cake. HTH
I don't have an air brush gun either icon_sad.gif

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 11

I used the green for the TMNT cake in my pics. I think it was okay but it smells strong and gets everywhere, lol! It didn't alter the taste of the icing though.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 11

I use the wilton spray colors quite often, especially to deepen the icing colors if they are still too light. I would use it where you have enough ventilation. It does leave little droplets if you are not spraying it holding the can level. Try spraying it on a piece of paper/paper towel first to get used to the way the can sprays, and you should be fine. I didn't find much of a flavor left on the icings I've used it on. good luck. icon_smile.gif

mareg Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for your replys! I'll get some and try it out first on a peice of paper. I'm relieved to hear it didn't alter the taste! I can't see the green cake b/c the gallery is still down icon_sad.gif

thanks again!

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 11

Yes, I have used the spray, it does not alter the taste of the icing, however.... surround your area with old sheets or cardboard, then start spraying before you hit the cake and try and keep the pressure the same, I have had okay luck with this method. I would invest in a airbrush. You will make your money back on it easily!! Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

mareg Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 11

Another question... I guess I should spray it BEFORE I put it on the cake plate. It sound likethis stuff is messy and smelly! I'll plan on using a covered peice of cardboard to put the cake on, spray it then place on the seperator plate. sound good?

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 11

I used it and I liked it. The best advice I had was to start spraying off of the cake and move over the cake and then off the cake before you stopped.

NickyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NickyA Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 11

I have used the pink spray and wasnt that impressed by the look. Maybe I wasnt spraying from far away enough icon_smile.gif ... Good luck though!

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 11

I used the Green Wilton Color Spray for the grass on this cake. it reeks to high Heaven. Should've had a surgeons mask on or something. icon_lol.gif Worked great for me.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 11

I used the orange spray over fondant on my tiger cake in my pics. It didn't change the taste, but it was absolutely everywhere. My 3-year old son wanted to help me (hey it was for his birthday, so ok!). I think it came out ok, especially with part of it done by a 3 year old. Oh yeah...later in the day my son sneezed out orange snot!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%