How Long Do Fondant Covered Cakes Last For?

Decorating By kalatzp Updated 11 Jun 2006 , 12:16pm by MikeRowesHunny

kalatzp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalatzp Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 9

I have made a chocolate cake with choc ganche filling,then covered with fondant and was wondering how long the cake would last for. It was supposed to be for tomorrow but the party has been rescheduled till next week. Would it last that long or do I have to start again? The cake is shaped like a large rock with a sugar modelled mermaid on top. I can take the mermaid off and start the cake again but someone had told me it would be OK. Help!! not sure what to do.

8 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 9

What I had read indicated that it would be good for 2 or 3 days. I think a week is too long. Sorry- Let us know what you did, and please post a picture.

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 9

I think I would be a little cautious on waiting a whole week. It might be okay, but the fresh flavor wouldn't be there. So sorry on this one, I know it's got to be frustrating!

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 9

I made a cake a while back covered in fondant and let it sit for a close to a week and when I came to eat it, it was fresh but it had mold spots on it. Sorry to tell you that but you will have to redo the rock part of the cake. Don't you hate it when the customer changes their mind. Hope this helps.
Vie

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 9

I'm sorry about the postponement. that's got to be awful, working so hard and then to have this happen. I personally wouldn't wait for a whole week. (2-3 days max for me) And especially if what vie said is true about the moldly spots, then that definately wouldn't go over to well for the customer. best of luck!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 9

a week is too long. if this is a cake someone has hired you to make - just remember this is their issue, not yours. they still pay for this cake and for another next week if they want one then.

clb307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clb307 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 9

Could you put it in the freezer maybe?

kalatzp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalatzp Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone for all your responses. I am going to make the rock part of the cake again. Its not so bad, I guess things like this happen!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 12:16pm
post #9 of 9

If this cake is for a customer I would definately charge them for re-making the cake! You delivered the cake on schedule, and now you have to remake it for a later date because of something they've changed - you need to be compensated for that! You shouldn't have to lose $$$ over their problem!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%