Candy Melts On Cakes

Decorating By goodcakefairy Updated 9 Jun 2006 , 11:10pm by toddsgirl

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 7

I'm working with a bride that doesn't want a big cake. I suggested two-tier petit fours coated in melting chocolate. It worked in the Wilton 2006 yearbook, which doesn't necessarily mean it will work for me.

I was wondering, before I try it:

Does this smoosh the cake under its weight? Make it too sticky? Any tips? Precautions?

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 7

Not sure what you mean.......petit fours are like one bite cakes right???? Are you doing these instead of a traditional cake is that what you mean??? Or are you making a sort of miniature wedding cake??/

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 7

What page in the Wilton Yearbook 2006

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 7

OK, didn't explain very well. And of course I've forgotten which page the of yearbook its in, ha ha. Basically you take a sheet cake, cut into one-layer squares in two different sizes. You coat the cakes in candy melts, let them firm, then stack the smaller squares on top of the larger. Like a tiny two layer cake. Before I tried it, I was wondering if the chocolate would weigh the cake down too much.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 7

If you're making a ton of tiny cakes, I'd be more concerned with the time it's going to take than the candy. If the bride doesn't want a very large cake b/c she isn't feeding a lot of people, it may be okay to do 50 small cakes....... but if you're doing 100 - 150 you may go nuts before you get them all done! Especially if you're going to decorate them beyond just covering them with candy (which I assume you will do).

If they are mini cakes, I don't think the choc. will make them too heavy - but I wouldn't DRENCH them in chocolate - just a light coating. I think you can do that by pouring the melted choc. over the cake while it's sitting on a cooling rack - then the extra choc. will pour down below the rack and won't pool on the cake.

Make sure you take pictures whatever you do and post them! icon_smile.gif

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 7

I made the cupcakes with the candy melts in the Wilton yearbook. I dont think they were too sticky, but they were a pain to cover the cupcake bottoms with. The melts were hardening inside the piping bag. As for the weight, they did seem to affect the cupcakes, but then again they were cupcakes and not petit fours.
Best of luck

toddsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toddsgirl Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 7

I have made little cakes and covered them with candy melts and I thought it was a disaster. Maybe I am just doing it wrong. I made a sheet cake and then cut out biscuit sized rounds. I then covered with white candy melts. I found it to be impossible to get smooth and I had to put several coats on them, it was a major pain. I know there are some little cakes in the Wilton Yearbook that are covered with poured fondant. I would try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%