Fresh Flower As Cake Topper

Decorating By mvs07 Updated 11 May 2007 , 8:04pm by BJ

mvs07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvs07 Posted 10 May 2007 , 7:32am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone? I've been asked to put fresh flower as their cake topper on a fondant cake. How do i do that? Do i carve the cake & put the foam inside the cake or do i put it in a separator board? Please help me. I have to deliver it on the 15th of may.

thanks.

6 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 10 May 2007 , 11:02am
post #2 of 7

The most important thing is to be sure the flowers are people safe. I've done lots of silk flowers recently and don't like the holes they would create so I cut a piece of styrofoam to the correct size, clean it up so there are no small bits and glue a cake board (cardboard, with the cake side left clean) to the styrofoam. I put a daub of bc on the cake and sit the cardboard/styrofoam on top of the cake and then I'm ready to arrange the flowers. The only thing I found is, I have to be careful to cover, hide, the edge. (And, it won't support long stems.) HTH

mvs07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvs07 Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:08am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the additional knowledge. One more thing that i've heard is when using floral foam for fresh flowers, you make a hole in the cake and put the foam covered with foil inside hole.
Do you make a hole BEFORE covering it with fondant or AFTER you have covered it with fondant?

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 7

I'd recommend making the hole and lining it with fondant.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 7

You're not suppoused to make a hole in the cake. If you're using fresh flowers you need to soak the floral foam and the water can seep through the holes in the foil. I use a special foam that comes with a liner. It's called minideco from smither oasis. and I put a circle of wax paper or parchment on top of my cake then the minideco with the flowers.
LL

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 May 2007 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 7

Those are cool!! Thanks for posting them!

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 7

Have you considered using flower picks? They are food friendly and easy to find (you can get them at most craft stores). You just stick them down into the cake. They hold the flowers steady and are alot easier than dealing with the hole foam thing. Just a thought. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%