Buttercream Icing (Having Problems)

Decorating By firefly Updated 6 Jun 2006 , 8:12pm by sweetooth2

firefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firefly Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 11

I'm having problems making my buttercream icing. I go by the ingreidents exactly, but I put everything into one bowl, and then mixed it together. When its all mixed it comes out with this grainy look.

The directions said to slowly mix in the powdered sugar, could this be my problem? I just mixed everything in one bowl, then blended with a mixer. I have tried this receipe twice now, and both times it has been a big flop.

Thanks

10 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 11

You are mixing it wrong. You need to add the sugar gradually, like a cup at a time, when that is blended, add the next......and do not mix it on a very high setting. I have a KA and I mix it on the lowest setting it has.

How you mix the icing is very important.

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, I would say you have to add the powdered sugar slowly, making sure to incorporate the amount you just added before adding more. Also, sometime it helps to sift the powdered sugar. I personally don't sift, but I make sure everything is well creamed together before I start slowly adding the powdered sugar. HTH.

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 11

hmmmm....i Only keep my KA on low while i add the sugar and only to prevent it from flying all over the kitchen. i Then mix my BC on HIGH for 10 minutes and it comes out beautifully. what recipe are you using? this is what i use...

1 stick butter
1 cup crisco
8 cups confection sugar (1-2lb bag)
2 tsp vanilla
4 - 10 tbsp water (depending on desired consistency...6 or 7 for icing the cake)

i don't bother adding my sugar slow. i add it all at once and just mix on low until incorporated then full blast for 10 minutes. icon_rolleyes.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 12:15am
post #5 of 11

I have found that if I cream my Crisco and butter really really well so it is nice and creamy then add my flavoring and cream well on med-high. that it really helps. I then add my PS slowly from the bag, I have done all at once but i still end up with it all over the place even when I cover my mixer. I do like redsoxgirl though. I get it incorporated then run it on high for at least 5 mins (not sure i could handle listening to it for 10 in my small kitchen) It always turns out nice and smooth.

Leily

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 12:20am
post #6 of 11

My BC (1/2 crisco, 1/2 butter recipe) always turns out great no matter how quickly I put in the PS (although I don't put it in all at once)

I recently tried one of the crusting BC, with merengue powder and salt in it - it was HORRIBLE! - all grainy just like you said icon_sad.gif

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:51am
post #7 of 11

I use the crusting BC also, but I dissolve my salt in 2-3 tablespoons of water before adding it to the bowl. It doesn't get grainy that way.

Matrix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Matrix Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 3:53am
post #8 of 11

Make sure you are using real powdered sugar that doesn't contain beet sugar! It sounds like your powdered sugar is not sifted either! The only powdered sugar you don't have to sift is C&H powdered sugar in the 1-3 lb bags. They are generally presifted for you and they are fresh. You have to use fresh sifted powdered sugar and beat in slowly to get a really good batch of icing!

Hope this helps

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks, greenhorn, I didn't know that.
Do you use regular salt?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 11

I use the snow white buttercream recipe on this site for just about every cake I make. I also use the cheapo powdered sugar (which I am sure is made from the beet) and it makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE. It turns out fine each and every time. I do not sift it either. One thing I do use is popcorn salt instead of regular table salt. It is a much finer grain. I add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, and I mix on low - and only for about 2 or 3 minutes once all the sugar has been incorporated.

This (snow white buttercream) is the recipe I use for just about every cake, works perfectly, crusts great, tastes wonderfu, has a smooth texture, is snow white, takes on color great ~ you just can't ask for much more than that! Just follow the directions and it turns out perfect everytime.

sweetooth2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth2 Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 11

Yes do cream the butter and Crisco w/ the flavoring first then had your sifted powdered sugar a cup at time and add one to two tablespoons of milk halfway through the powdered sugar process ( you can add more milk if you need to if you wan't it not so stiff...) thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%