Choc Cake Out Of Wasc Recipe?

Baking By ernurse39 Updated 17 May 2007 , 5:37pm by bobwonderbuns

ernurse39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernurse39 Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 18

Has anyone tried making chocolate cake with the white almond sour cream cake recipe but just omitting the almond extract and of course using choc cake mix? It seems like it should work fine, I just wanted to get a confirmation or two.

Thanks!!!

17 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 18

Yes, I have heard of several people doing this. I haven't tried it yet, but I know there are a couple of threads out there about flavor variations for WASC. For chocolate, you should also use 6 whole eggs instead of 8 whites.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 18

I've done it several times. Instead of using almond, I would use all vanilla. And yes, use 6 whole eggs instead of the 8 egg whites. Goodluck! thumbs_up.gif

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 18

I made WASC this past weekend, and I used yellow cake mix, did not use almond extract (all vanilla) and used 4 whole eggs instead of all egg whites, and everybody loved this cake! It will be a regular for me when baking cakes--I am sure you can come up with many different variations.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 18

here you go

Chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes, omit almond extract and substitute 6 whole eggs for the whites.

Liqueur flavors: substitute alcohol (such as champagne or Kahlua) for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe

Berry flavors: use frozen berries, thaw reserving the juice. Substitute the berry juice for part of the water in the recipe, and stir the berries in at the end.

Egg whites you can use - 3 whole eggs and 1 egg white or 3 whole eggs (Carla, Sweet Dreams)

Banana flavor: (single recipe) = WASC recipe. add 1 box banana pudding, 1 banana mashed
1 tsp. banana flavor
For filling(is you want:: 1 box Banana pudding and 1 C whipping cream

lulu35748 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulu35748 Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 18

What does WASC stand for? Sorry to ask, but I am new to this and I have seen that abbre. several times. Thanks!

ernurse39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernurse39 Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 18

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 18

I do this all the time. I use (half recipe) 1 box chocolate cake mix, 3/4 cup flour, 1 3oz pkge Chocolate pudding, 1 cup of sugar, 4 eggs, All vanilla, 1 cup of water and 1/3 cup another liquid (coffee, creamer, liquor) depending on what kind of cake I'm making. I also Substitute the sour cream for Mayo sometimes in the chocolate cake. They always turn out SOOOOOO good and really moist!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:44am
post #9 of 18

I use the basic chocolate adjustment to the recipe, but instead of using the whole amount of flour with the chocolate cake mix, I substitute 1/3 of it with cocoa. That way it doesn't loose the deepness of the chocolate.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:54am
post #10 of 18

I still use almond in my chocolate mix. I love the taste of almond in lots of mixes. And in my cookie doughs and pie crust. It makes it taste like it is homemade.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 10 May 2007 , 11:02am
post #11 of 18

So...what do you think about this recipe working with Red Velvet? I like the texture of teh cake and I want to make a red velvet race car...that I carve.

Thanks

Julia

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 18

I had a box red velvet cake and I added the extender recipe using sour cream plus one cup buttermilk and about a half cup of cocoa...it was for the peacock wedding cake in my pics and the people called me to tell mo how awesome it tasted....the cake was for 60 people and there was only 15 people at the wedding and they said there was one small piece left thumbs_up.gif

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:05pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

I had a box red velvet cake and I added the extender recipe using sour cream plus one cup buttermilk and about a half cup of cocoa...it was for the peacock wedding cake in my pics and the people called me to tell mo how awesome it tasted....the cake was for 60 people and there was only 15 people at the wedding and they said there was one small piece left thumbs_up.gif

Wow, that sounds incredible!! Would you mind PMing me with the full recipe?

ShaunaCann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaCann Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:09pm
post #14 of 18

I used Justsweet's chocolate and kahlua suggestions last night for my cc bouquets. The batter was yummy and I can't wait to try the cake today! Thank you for the variations!

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu35748

What does WASC stand for? Sorry to ask, but I am new to this and I have seen that abbre. several times. Thanks!

White Almond Sour Cream.

I have a hard time keeping up with abbreviations as well. icon_smile.gif

Good Luck!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:49am
post #16 of 18

Short answer -- yes. There are a few threads on the White Almond Sour Cream Cake variations too, just do a search.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:38pm
post #17 of 18

Here is a technical question...why is it suggested to use the whole eggs in the other versions. Would n't the egg whites work in those as well? Is there some chemical reason that choc cake needs whole eggs or has it just evolved from a preference.

I find there is a different texture when I use all egg whites that I like. I coudl experiment I know, but who has time for that. I thought I would ask before I go out and try it myself.

Thanks
Julia

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:37pm
post #18 of 18

bumpa bumpa bumpa bumpa... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%