Freezing Cakes Keeps A Cake Moist?

Decorating By darkchocolate Updated 1 Jun 2006 , 6:45pm by SarahJane

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 11:16am
post #1 of 4

I had read on another board that someone put their cakes that just come out of the oven to rapidly cool. This technique helps to keep the cake moist. I also read where some freeze all their cakes and even frost them frozen "to lock in the moisture".

I am looking for opinions from experienced bakers on these techniques.

Thanks,
darkchocolate

3 replies
llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 4

While I have frozen cakes in the past, I have never done so to keep them moist. Generally, if you bake a cake well--you will not have to use any tricks to keep/make them moist.

I have never frosted a frozen cake. I would be concerned about ice crystals creating problems for my buttercream and would certainly never do fondant on a frozen cake.

You could just try it and see if it makes a difference with your cakes, if you want to play a bit.

Lisa

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 4

I made a birthday cake last weekend and I had frozen it in advance to save time.

I didn't have any problems decorating it using BC and fondant flowers.

The birthday party was Saturday, and I got a call from my friend on Sunday telling me that everybody loved the cake and that it was the best tasting cake they had ever had. and they reallly loved how it looked too. I will post a pic this weekend and get y'alls opinion. usaribbon.gif

Connie

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 4

I choose not to freeze my cakes. I've never done it so I can't tell you how it works, but I think that the advantage to making cakes in small batches and making cakes from scratch is that I provide something that other places don't. All bakerys that I know of (I've worked at 3) freeze there cakes before decorating. I choose to make fresh, not frozen cake. But that is just a personal prefrence. (not to mention there is no way I can fit one more thing in my freezer)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%