First Wedding Cake.

Decorating By kicky Updated 8 May 2007 , 1:02pm by Hippiemama

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 6 May 2007 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hi just had my first enquiry about doing a wedding cake, only had initial contact from a friend of the bride and groom and she is going to get them to call. Want to have some ideas ready for them.

They want a two tired cake with and the flag of trinidad on it. She is from trinidad. Thinking flowers but any other ideas.

I don't want to mess this up as will be my first wedding cake so excited.
It is also for the middle of june so only have a month so they will need to decided on size quick as they want a fruit cake for bottom teir, and i don't have any fruit cakes in the cupboard.

Can you halp me out on how much deposit i should take initially and when to take full payment. should i take all up front when taking the order as it is only in a month before the wedding. I'm thiking atthe moment that the cake will be about £120 -£150 working on the cost i charge already.

What is the best way to do a tierd cake do i just put a thin board between the cakes. As i have never done a tierd cake either.

Thanks for the help.

4 replies
smque2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smque2 Posted 6 May 2007 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 5

Hi
For a start you want to be working on a price of £150+ you can then come down if you have to but it is more difficult to go up. Deposit I usually take enough to make the fruit cake - around £50

Don't give a price until all the details are fixed. (or tell them they start from: ) I phone when the cake is ready and they come and pay for it then when they come to see it. Then it is either collected at the time or delivered.

You can always go on-line for ideas about Trinidad before they call and see you -that way you may have thought of something that they have not.
See what the national flower is (and if you can make it)

If the top tier is sponge you could get away with a thin board IF the cake is stacked. If it is not stacked but needs to go on a stand or pillars I use a cake drum (1/2" deep)
If the top tier is sponge cake you probably won't need dowels.

Good luck and it is lovely when the cake is finished and you are pleased with it - and they are thrilled to bits.

icon_cool.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 May 2007 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 5

A month before the wedding? Paid in full !

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 8 May 2007 , 11:49am
post #4 of 5

thanks smque2. I don't know how i can say £150 as all my prices are in my portfolio next to my cakes. I know i'm cheap but i've only been selling the odd few for a couple of years.
I think i shall do a stacked cake as it will be far easier, than a tired. I think i need to do a practice tierd cake first, with family a ginipigs.
Thnaks for the help and i will deffinately be posting the finished cake.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 5

Good luck with your first wedding cake. Since it is so close to the wedding date many people would require full payment now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%