Pasteurize Your Own Eggs

Baking By Rodneyck Updated 29 May 2006 , 5:42pm by Rodneyck

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 29 May 2006 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 5

I am sure at some point you have come across a recipe that requires some part of an uncooked egg and wondered if it was really safe or not, or just avoided the recipe all together. I have recipes that contain the delicious zabaione for example. Well here is an easy solution, so now you can have your zabaione and egg too!!!

I was reading through a culinary forum and one chef stated that she always pasteurizes her own eggs after buying from the market. Here is how;

Pasteurizing Your Own Eggs:
It is possible to pasteurize eggs at home - and easily, too! Pasteurization is simply a process of heating a food to a specific temperature for a specific amount of time - designed to kill specific bacteria. It is known that salmonella bacteria are killed at temperatures of 140 degrees in about 3 1/2 minutes (or a higher temperature in less time). If a room temperature egg is held in a bowl of warm water - say, 142 degrees to be safe - for 3 1/2 minutes, the bacteria will be killed. It takes 5 minutes for extra large or jumbo eggs.

Place the room temperature eggs in a colander, and lower them into a pan or bowl of 142-degree water. Use an instant-read thermometer to be sure of the water temperature, and leave the thermometer in the water, to be sure that the temoerature is maintained. For medium or large eggs, leave them in the water for 3 1/2 minutes; for extra large or jumbo eggs, allow 5 minutes. Then remove the eggs, dry them, and refrigerate them, in a tightly-covered container.

Eggs begin to cook at about 160 degrees, and will be "scrambled eggs" at 180 - but if the 142 degree temperature is maintained, the result is a safe egg that will act like a raw egg in recipes.

Our listener, Andie, pasteurizes her eggs as soon as she brings them home from the market - a good way to avoid having to mark them, or creating confusion about which have been pasteurized and which have not.

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 May 2006 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 5

Thanks! That is some really interesting information.

Leily

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 29 May 2006 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 5

thanks

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 May 2006 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 5

was not able to verify above advice after multiple searches...

the closest I came was the traditional break egg open, add to liquid ingredients and bring to simmer and hold (will coat back of spoon when ready)

and this from the FDA

Whole Eggs Pasteurized in the Shell - Traditionally, eggs sold to customers in the shell have not been pasteurized. However, new time/temperature pasteurization methods are making this possible. Egg whites coagulate at 140° F (60° C). Therefore, heating an egg above 140° F would cook the egg, so processors pasteurize the egg in the shell at a low temperature, 130° F (54° C), for a long time, 45 minutes. This new process is being used by some manufacturers, but it is not yet widely available.

note the drastic difference in time

and here's an interesting article that showss we have greater odds of getting hit by lightning than getting sick from raw eggs!!

InteliHealth

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 29 May 2006 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Egg whites coagulate at 140° F (60° C). Therefore, heating an egg above 140° F would cook the egg, so processors pasteurize the egg in the shell at a low temperature, 130° F (54° C), for a long time, 45 minutes.

Even though it is the FDA, I question the temps. I have made several pastry creams, the thickening happens well above 140 degrees. Plus, several chefs, where I discovered this pasteurization process, are using the 140/142 degree mark. It was what I was told in my pastry class as well.

You are correct, more people get salmonella from their sinks and counter tops, due to spreading with contaminated dish towels, than by eggs/egg shells.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%