Fondant And Basketweave Question

Decorating By Book119 Updated 25 May 2006 , 5:33am by Book119

Book119 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Book119 Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:08am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!

I have two questions for all you brilliant decorators.

1) I just learned how to make fondant roses and my instructor said the middle base has to dry for three days then the full rose has to dry for three days before I can put it on a cake.
I need some roses for Sunday, for my final class. Is there anyway to do both steps in 4 days? How would I? Would the fridge dry them faster?

2) Basketweave. Do I do it directly onto the cake? Should I put a crumb coating first? Will it stick to the cake if I don't? (especially the sides)

Thanks for all your help!
Becca

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:15am
post #2 of 4

1. DON'T PUT FONDANT ROSES IN THE REFRIGERATOR--THEY'LL GET STICKY AND DROOPY!
You can get the roses to dry faster by adding some Wilton Gum-tex powder to the fondant. Knead it in and then make the flowers. The centers will dry in 1-2 days and the petals, if rolled thin enough, will dry in 24 hrs.

2. If you don't crumb coat the cake, you run the risk of the heavy basketweave literally falling or sliding off the sides. It's worth the effort to do the crumb coat so that your time is well invested. It's also great practice for smoothing buttercream when it "doesn't count".

Rae

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 25 May 2006 , 4:28am
post #3 of 4

Crumb coat the cake in the same color as the basket-weave.

Place the fondant roses in your oven to dry: turn the oven light and close the door. If the roses are tinted, place foil or a cookie sheet on the top rack to prevent color fading. Place a note on the oven dial: Do not turn on!!! (I speak from experience!!!)

Book119 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Book119 Posted 25 May 2006 , 5:33am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for you help. It is very much appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%