Black Fondant

Decorating By alliebear Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 8:27pm by DianeLM

alliebear Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 10

any sugestions on how to colour fondant black?? everytime i seem to try it dries out and goes crumbly.. thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
Sugarbean Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 10

Start with chocolate fondant. I've never had that happen. icon_smile.gif

ShyannAutumn Posted 3 May 2007 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 10

Allie have you tried the recipe from this forum yet? wonderful tasting recipe. I made black fondant for the first time a few weeks ago and I really liked it. It seemed to dry out a little quicker then the MMF (Marshmallow Fondant) so I worked in a little more crisco when I kneeded it and/or added water to it, warmed it up in the microwave just a little. I was very happy with it. As for getting the black I had a CC member tell me you'll have to add a LOT of black food coloring to the mix. She wasn't kidding I had to add a LOT of black. Americolor is awesome.

Hope it helps

mareg Posted 3 May 2007 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 10

I found that its much easier to buy black fondant. Its nice dark ...for as little black I use I buy it.

Mine comes out usually a dark purple gray. I use americolor too.

Vreeke Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 10

I wouldn't recommend coloring fondant black or any dark color. When you eat it, it will turn your mouth that color. I always airbrush my dark cakes and that way no one's mouth is black.
Lori V.
Pastries By Vreeke

ShirleyW Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 10

Allie I know your question was about coloring fondant black, but, have you ever tried Satin Ice fondant? They make a black that is really delicious smelling and tasting and it rolls out and goes on the cake beautifully.

DianeLM Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 10

Sometimes when I start with chocolate fondant and add black, it turns a weird cigar green color. Now, I use Satin Ice pre-colored black, exclusively. Love it!

alliebear Posted 12 May 2007 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 10

i am from Canada where would i find satin ice there are not alot of cake decorating specialty stores can i order from the internet? i would like to try it

sassycleo Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 10

For those of you who purchase the Satin Ice Pre colored Black Fondant - does it turn your mouth black when you eat it? I have a couple interested in red and black but are a bit cautious right now because of turning their guest mouth's black.

We discussed airbrushing but wondered about this being an option to present to them.

DianeLM Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 10

We conducted an experiment where we all ate a blob of black fondant, then checked our mouths. Immediately after, tongue and teeth were discolored. After a few minutes and a few sips of water, only our tongues were slightly discolored.

Quote by @%username% on %date%