Barney Cake

Decorating By millionairess Updated 25 Aug 2013 , 9:21pm by Btrcrm4me

millionairess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millionairess Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:19am
post #1 of 12

Hi,

I have a Barney the Dinosaur cake to make next month, & was wondering how to get the purple colour? We only hv Wilton colours here. Any advise? Thanks in advance!

11 replies
tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:22am
post #2 of 12

Doesn't Wilton sell a Barney color kit? Or I'd try a combo of purple and a little pink?

millionairess Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:24am
post #3 of 12

HI, thanks for your reply. We have very limited colours, only the basic ones. Thanks for the advise, will try it out.

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:31am
post #4 of 12

Wilton did used to have a color kit for Barney.. I have a kit.. It's a few years old... But the colors are just perfect... I looked on the Wilton site and they've discontinued all the Barney stuff... icon_sad.gif sorry

tastycakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:37am
post #5 of 12

MrsDawn, what does the purple look like to you? Does it have a hint of pink?

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:43am
post #6 of 12

Americolors has the perfect Barney colors, Regal Purple and Forrest Green. I too have a Barney cake to do, at the end of the month.

tastycakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:47am
post #7 of 12

Just when we thought Barney was over.....he's back.

millionairess Posted 17 May 2006 , 11:40am
post #8 of 12

Just great! the local store here does not hv purple in stock. Any other suggestions to get the right shade? Will mixing blue & red help?

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 17 May 2006 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 12

I made a Barney cake for my daughter's birthday a couple of years ago and used Americolor Electric Purple. IMO, that's the perfect Barney color. Here's a picture of the color I used.

Since you don't have access to Americolor, I guess you could try mixing the Wilton colors and see how you come out. Barney purple has a bit more red than blue. Just guessing, but maybe you could try rose pink with just a touch of blue?

Just want to add my 2 cents. When you mix the Wilton colors, especially the dark ones like red and blue, the icing can taste bitter if you use too much (I found that out the hard way once, had to throw out an entire batch of icing because it tasted so awful that I would never feed it to anyone). Just try mixing the color a little lighter than you want it and let it sit out for a while. The color will darken as it sits, you won't have to use as much of the paste and you will end up with a much better tasting icing (experience talking, LOL).
LL

millionairess Posted 17 May 2006 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks for the advice projectqueen. I knew i could count CC talented members. The Barney you made looks just great, hope mine turns out as good as yours!

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 17 May 2006 , 10:11pm
post #11 of 12

The purple does have a little pink in it... It does look alot like the americolor electric purple... the green is just kelly green in the kit...I don't know when you have to have the cake done but, I wouldn't mind sending you the little jar of purple if you're worried about not getting the color you need... Just PM me if you need me to do that for ya!!!

Dawn

Btrcrm4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrcrm4me Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 12

projectqueen - I you don't mind my asking, what green & yellow did you use? (I've got Americolors)  Those colors look perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%