Boxing Cake: Need Suggestions!!

Decorating By Uberhipster Updated 4 Mar 2014 , 10:35pm by Ail it

Uberhipster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uberhipster Posted 11 May 2006 , 4:04am
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a square cake as a boxing ring, but need ideas for what to make the ropes and poles with! Maybe licorice string for the ropes? But what about the poles...? Of course I'd like to keep everything edible, but for the strength needed to keep up 4 rows or "ropes", maybe the poles will have to be plastic. Maybe bubble tea straws? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Jodie.

6 replies
mamastacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamastacy Posted 11 May 2006 , 4:08am
post #2 of 7

You could use the big pretzel sticks.
stacy

mariamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariamom Posted 11 May 2006 , 4:10am
post #3 of 7

What about those small bread sticks you can get at the grocery? You could probably paint them with food coloring or cover them with royal icing. Can't wait to see the results!

Ileana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ileana Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 7

How about rolling the pretzels in fondant and letting them dry until they get hard enough to use. You can buy the already colored fondant depending on what color your ring is going to be and shape the pretzels accordingly.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 7

can connect three long pretzel sticks (the big ones about 1/4 inch diameter) by dipping each in chocolate and then stacking like a triangle.

this will give you very strong corners.

for ropes, find the 2 foot or even 3 foot long licorice ropes.

Uberhipster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uberhipster Posted 29 May 2006 , 2:48am
post #6 of 7

Here's the cake... the icing fighters I made wouldn't stand up (hence the holes on top), so I couldn't make it a boxing ring afterall! So it's just a Thai cake, rather than a Muay Thai Boxing cake. icon_sad.gif

Thank you for your suggestions!
LL

Ail it Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ail it Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 7

AHi

I know this is a long time down the road but I am new to the cake making lark!!!!! I was wondering if you could tell me how you made the Thai gold work on this boxing cake? I have someone who wants a thai themed cake and cN not find anything like this anywhere!!!

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%