Wire Swirlies???

Decorating By TxAgGirl Updated 30 Apr 2007 , 2:39pm by TxAgGirl

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:06am
post #1 of 9

Can some of you give some tips on how to make the wire swirls that look so cute coming out of cakes? detective.gif

Thanks for any advice!

8 replies
crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:11am
post #2 of 9

just take floral wire and shape however you want then insert a straw cut tto however you need flush or slightly under surface of cake and add alittle icing into it and add wire.
You dont want the wire directly into cake for health reasons.
Hope that helps you.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:43am
post #3 of 9

Here is a post that talks about using a bamboo skewer to get the curls...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-218791-wire.html

HTH some, Jen

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:47am
post #4 of 9

I took a look at your cake photos and you have a cake with the wires coming out. They look great. What's wrong with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAgGirl

Can some of you give some tips on how to make the wire swirls that look so cute coming out of cakes? detective.gif

Thanks for any advice!

thecakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaven Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:50am
post #5 of 9

I tightly twist the wire around a wooden dowel, then slide the dowel out. Then you can add some curve to it. I find it keeps the size of the swirls even.

TxAgGirl Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 9

The problem I was getting with my wires was that i kept gettting little kinks in them. But helipops just told me her secret--to run your thumb and forefinger down the length of the wire to warm it up and make it more pliable. Then she suggested only holding it by the ends rather than where you want the curl to be, and using your grip on the ends to manipulate it.

I had heard the straw idea. Any other ideas for how to insert without affecting the safety of the cake?

TxAgGirl Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 9

Has anyone ever used these flower spikes by Wilton for sticking the wire in the cake?

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E312C10-475A-BAC0-5D34A3D6D0BDDF27&fid=3E331274-475A-BAC0-5041EF53F94DDB26

thecakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaven Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 9

I always use a drinking straw because they are less expensive, easy to find and only leave a teeny hole in the cake. Flower spikes have very wide openings and do not hold the wires very securely.

TxAgGirl Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 9

Another tip in case you're interested...

I had previously bought my wire on a roll when I had the trouble with kinks, but last night I found some straight 18-gauge wire sold in the flower arrangement section at Michaels. It is sold in 12" lengths, which was perfect.

I found that it's easier to start with straight wire rather than curled. I'll be posting picturs of a cake with them tomorrow night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%