Help! First Wedding Cake

Decorating By TLC_Cakes Updated 9 May 2006 , 4:47pm by KHalstead

TLC_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TLC_Cakes Posted 9 May 2006 , 2:11am
post #1 of 6

I read all the great info on here all the time and know there is someone out there who can help me. I have taken all 3 Wilton classes and am learning something new every day, however I've only done a wedding cake in my last class... a simple wedding cake.

My problem is I don't know what cake to make for a wedding cake, how to cut a wedding cake, how to price a wedding cake, how to transport it, how to set it up, how early to be at the reception site. I'm lost!

The brides sister contacted me wanting me to do the cake. It's a 2nd marriage and the couple wants to keep it simple. I've not gotten all the details yet but think she's going to go with a round cake to feed 50-75 people. I have very little to do a wedding cake as far as decorations so I'll have to buy all that too, if she wants real flowers or a cake topper etc.

If anyone can help me I really would appreciate it. Any advise. tips or websites would be great.

Thanks so much!
Tammy

5 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 9 May 2006 , 2:17am
post #2 of 6

First.....just calm down, breathe.....lol! You really sounded stressed there!

There are serving/cutting charts on wiltons & earlenes websites...just pick one & stick with it...just make sure to tell the customers what size the serving is.

Transportation depends on the cake. I use non-skid mats under my cakes when transporting.

If it's to be a stacked cake, you should assemble at the reception.

Arrive as early as you feel necessary. That kinda depends on how much assembly you'll have to do at the reception site. Also, allow yourself some time to fix any thing that may have happened. So, make sure you bring icing, tips, spatulas, etc. wtih you.

HTH! You're bound to come up with lots of answers here...this is a great site!!

TLC_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TLC_Cakes Posted 9 May 2006 , 2:24am
post #3 of 6

Breathing........LOL.......... I am stressed, no doubt. icon_confused.gif

Thank goodness the weddings not until the end of June. Hopefully others will reply.

Thanks!

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 9 May 2006 , 4:28am
post #4 of 6

HI!

I agree, step back and take a long deep breath. I have a saying that I remind myself when I am stressed. At the end of the day it is just a cake!!!

As for pricing, you need to pick a price per serving and stick to it. Check out others in your area and pick one that fits you.

As for sizes, I have to agree use either the wilton guide or go to Earlene Moores site and print out her serving charts.

Delivery time: I usually set up my times to arrive at 2 hours before the reception is to begin. You can check the day before or morning of with the location as to what the earliest time would be.

Transportation, I do the same, I buy the rolls of rubber not skid mats and place them down the back of my van. Great stabilitiy. IF it is stacked, depends on what sizes and how many tiers. If they are small, I will take two already stacked and add any others at site. Finish of cake there. That your need to decide.

Good luck, I am sure all will work out.

Bestest,
Dawn

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 9 May 2006 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 6

WELCOME TLC_Cakes!!!!!
Good Luck You'll do just fine!!!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 May 2006 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 6

Let me make a suggestion........the only way you'll know how long it will take you to set up the cake, and so forth is if you do it..........why not donate a cake somewhere......a local shelter, a local church, your children's school........that way........you can take your time transporting the cake, setting it up, and so forth.......and then if you want......you could ask people what they thought of it....hey, everyone LOVES free cake and this would give you practice.....and I'd be willing to bet it will get you more business!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%