Luster Dust Question......

Decorating By xkuuipo415x Updated 8 May 2006 , 2:56am by Wendoger

xkuuipo415x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkuuipo415x Posted 8 May 2006 , 12:51am
post #1 of 5

Hoping someone can help me with this one - I sent my DH to get me some luster dusts (silver & gold) which I will be using to color the royal icing pieces I will be adding to a bidal shower cake. He came back with shimmer dust - which is not what I wanted but tried to use it, and it didn't come out - it does not dilute. Is there a difference with the two?

I went back out today and checked all over but can't find luster dusts - am I looking in the wrong places? Am I doing something wrong?

I had previously asked, and some of you had replied that mixing with vodka or some extract I can "paint" the pieces and they would come out great.

HELP!

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 May 2006 , 12:57am
post #2 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-22676-luster.html+dust+shimmer+dust+petal+dust

here is a discusion explaining the difference between all the dust =) I havent' had a chance to read through it all the way so if you have more questions just ask =)

HTH

Leily

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 8 May 2006 , 1:02am
post #3 of 5

I think the shimmer dust works best when you sprinkle it on your decoration. Say you're doing something with gumpaste, lightly dampen the surface with a wet brush and then sprinkle on the shimmer dust. Luster dust, I believe, is one of the dusts that you can add to an extract or alcohol and paint with. HTH

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:51am
post #4 of 5

If you're talking about Wilton shimmer dust, you really can't get the same effects that you'll get with true luster dust. The shimmer dust is granular and (I think) sugar based) so, if you you mix it with anything it will basically melt. It works best on damp items when sprinkled on, but to be honest, it isn't really very shiny.

You can't buy luster dust at Michael's, WalMart, or JoAnnes. You need to purchase it at specialty cake decorating stores or online.

Rae

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:56am
post #5 of 5

yep, they're totally different.
I know many people here mix their luster dusts with lemon or vodka, but I have only used mine dry. I have never had a problem with using them dry. I bought mine at caljava.com....they have many different colors.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%