How Do You Ice A Cupcake Cake?

Decorating By darandon Updated 6 May 2006 , 9:46pm by karebere

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 5 May 2006 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 10

I've seen lots of great pictures of cupcakes that have been put together to resemble a cake. I want to know how they are iced so they look like a smooth top regular cake.
Thanks

9 replies
Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 5 May 2006 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 10

bump.. . . I have been wondering the same thing.

curlybop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curlybop Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 10

I just used a lot of frosting! icon_biggrin.gif A good crusting buttercream, and made all the cupcakes look level with the frosting. Used the Viva method to smooth, and it's ready to decorate. Very easy & quick.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 10

Try this tutorial...I made my first not long ago and it was pretty easy to follow.

http://community.webshots.com/album/105830324epGFhn

darandon Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 10

ChrisJ - thanks for the great link to the tutorial. I saved the spot. I need to do a graduation cake and the cupcakes would be perfect for everyone to grab and go instead of using a plate and fork.
Thanks
dara

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 6 May 2006 , 2:28am
post #6 of 10

I use the big cake icer tip and a plastic scraper. icon_biggrin.gif Works well for me!

darandon Posted 6 May 2006 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 10

Oooh another good idea to use my big cake icer tip. I rarely get it out and this might work for me.
Thanks

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 May 2006 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 10

Big icer tip is the only way I will do it if I want a smooth top. It puts a nice layer down that I can just smooth out later. It is a huge time saver for me.

Leily

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 6 May 2006 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 10

Guess I'll have to get one of those, I see it mentioned on two boards the last few days, I looked at it last time but left it there!

karebere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karebere Posted 6 May 2006 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

ChrisJ - thanks for the great link to the tutorial. I saved the spot. I need to do a graduation cake and the cupcakes would be perfect for everyone to grab and go instead of using a plate and fork.
Thanks
dara

I need to do a graduation cake as well and I agree this would be a great idea! What are you planning on doing for the top decorations? Do you mind sharing your ideas with me? I also just ran across a great idea for pre filling (fill before baking) the cupcakes, and it involves cream cheese and mini oreo cookies! If you are interested pm me and I will get you the recipe. icon_smile.gif
Karrie
PS ChrisJ~Thank you from me to! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%