My First Topsy Turvy

Decorating By Yizzi Updated 16 Apr 2007 , 8:09pm by heavensgaits

Yizzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yizzi Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 6

Lesson learned icon_sad.gif I used a red velvet recipe that I LOVE for the base cake. It isn't a dense cake and couldn't hold the weight of the buttercream. Thank goodness this was a family shower and not a paying customer. The entire side of the cake was cracking off. I made a belt out of plastic wrap and then re-iced the cake. GAH. I served them side by side. It looked okay... but so sad after so many days of hard work! BKeith has a GREAT tutorial. Everything worked just they way it was supposed to - just silly me with that darn red cake!

Cakes are Chocolate on top, then white then red. Buttercream icing with chocolate clay decor.
LL

5 replies
jillcleary1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillcleary1026 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 6

That came out great!! Awesome job. I need to get brave enough to try something like this. Love it.

Aunksunamun13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aunksunamun13 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 6

Same here !!! I need to get brave ! I kept making excuses...ie....I dont have the right size pans (dh bought them last week) I dont have enough time (im on vacation)...you name it....ive used it as an excuse. I just need to DO IT !!

It looks wonderful Yizzi !!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 6

Great job! I tried a few months ago and it ended up out to the birds bc I screwed it up so bad! LOVE the colors of the flowers!

Yizzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yizzi Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! Like I mentioned.. The tutorial is perfect! It was scary but absolutely no problems... other than that red cake! icon_smile.gif

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 6

Your cake turned out great! icon_biggrin.gif The tutorial by Bkeith is awesome, we used it also on our first topsy turvy wedding cake for a friend of ours. The only thing we did different was that we didn't vary the sizes of layers in each tier, but we did cut each cake out just like the tutorial said to. Great job! Everything is nice and clean; professional looking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%