I Think I Got Screwed...

Decorating By SILVERCAT Updated 26 Apr 2007 , 4:07pm by sarahnichole975

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:35pm
post #31 of 110

Okay I am now asking for help on getting my words right for the email.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:41pm
post #32 of 110

If you do not have letter head go into a word document and type of the following letter.

Today date

her name (the following information, just as much as you have)
Address
Email
phone

What her order included
The delivery date/pick up date

Subtotal
Any additional fees, delivery etc... or this is where I put a discount if I want to
TOTAL

Please make checks payable to __________
Please send checks to ____your address____
All payment is due withen 15 (30) days of invoice date.

leily Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:42pm
post #33 of 110

Don't forget a paragraph at the end to the effect of

Thank you for your business and I look forward to working with you again for future events.

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:49pm
post #34 of 110

Thanks that is prefect! I will let you all know what the out come will be.

leily Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 5:54pm
post #35 of 110

not a problem, glad I could help. This is a very basic invoice that I use, typically I get pretty detailed about what they get, but I use this same format for a quote then just bring it over to an invoice later.

Hope all goes well.

I just realized that the 15(30) days might be confusing... I just meant to give you options of whatever amount of days you wanted to use. Or you could even put a date in here. For quotes I will put a date in here and that is the date they have to have all final info and part of payment to me.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:02pm
post #36 of 110

I hate this very thing about cake decorating, do people think they can walk into a bakery and not pay or even the grocery store. I wonder sometimes if people really realize what time, effort and money goes into making one of these works of art? icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:08pm
post #37 of 110

Man, if you had her actually over, you should have just outright said "So glad you came over! let me get my book so I can give you a receipt for your cake payment. Did you want to give me the $xxx in cash or write a check?" as you're filling out the receipt. Maybe the fact that she came over and you didn't ask was her way of "testing" to see if she'd really have to pay. If that was the case, she'll probably think she has a really sweet deal in being able (she thinks) to "have you do" cakes for her. If it were me, I wouldn't mess with the invoice. Call her up and make it humorous if you like...."Girl, it must be sniffing buttercream all day, but we forgot about the cake payment again. When are you bringing by the $xxx? I'll be sure to have your receipt ready." Or simply "I need your cake payment. Do you want to meet me somewhere, or can you come over Friday?" Either way, remind her of the amount.

I know it will all work out. thumbs_up.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:24pm
post #38 of 110

It's so hard to deal with these cases, I don't think you're being soft - you've just found yourself in a bit of a corner. I do hope the email will work out. You need to draw up a little contract so that you have it ready for all cake orders - maybe one that you've got copies of lying about that you can just fill in all the details. If you feel awkward about it you can just jot down the details on the contract as you're taking down an order, making sure to take half the final fee as a deposit, and hand it over for them just to check through the details and sign. Explain it's to do with tax or something if you feel uncomfortable about it. Good luck, my fingers are crossed for you.

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:29pm
post #39 of 110

One nice lesson about instances like these is that we definitely learn from them. I had a co-worker ask me to make her a 10" round with a FBCT of a Lego Pirate. Since this was a friend/co-worker I said $25 for the cake, mostly to cover my cost of ingredients. It was the same scenario (minus the rain) she stopped by to pick it up and was in a hurry to get to the party. No mention of payment and she left so fast that there wasn't a chance to ask. Every week (about 4 now), she walks by my desk and says "Oh, I have a check for you". I still to this day have not gotten the check. Lesson well learned...no more cakes for this person unless they are pre-pay or for anyone. I just don't think people realize the work and time involved, so they think it is no big deal.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:32pm
post #40 of 110

I had the same experience with a co-worker. No more cakes for her and everyone prepays or no cake.
Leslie

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:39pm
post #41 of 110

I'm making a birthday cake for my best friend. She's not paying for it because it's her gift from me AND because I offered it.

Now her mother....that's a different story. She asked her daughter if I could make some "sweets" for her (the mom) it was 2 days notice. My best friend said no.

That's why she's my best friend, always looking out for me.

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:39pm
post #42 of 110

Here is a copy of my email going out to her. What do you think of it?

Hey I know we were all in a rush yesterday about the cake and you getting there in time. I am so glad to hear that there was only one piece of cake left over at the end of the party. Here is the invoice for the cake. I must of sniffed too much icing yesterday because I forgot to give you a receipt for the cake order. Here is the invoice for the cake.

Silvercat's Kake Kreations

[email protected]
April 16,2007

Gina X

Four 9x13s 2 Chocolate cakes and 2 yellow cakes. Cheese cake Mousse filling with cream cheese icing. Detail work to have the cakes look like four aces. Writing to include Happy 40th Birthday Mike
April 16th 4pm delivery/pick up

Subtotal: $120
$20 Deposit for cake board. Board to be returned within 7 days

-$20 Discount

TOTAL: $120

Thank you for your business and I look forward to working with you again for future events.

Silvercat's Kake Kreations

[email protected]

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:40pm
post #43 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmn

Every week (about 4 now), she walks by my desk and says "Oh, I have a check for you". I still to this day have not gotten the check. .

The next time they say they have a check for you, tell them that you can follow them right back to their desk so they don't have to make a second trip by you. It puts them on the spot to give you your check that day.

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:44pm
post #44 of 110

I am sorry but this thing just ticks me off!! I would NEVER treat my friends this way. A REAL friend would know the value of your time and insist on paying you for it. I'd call her ASAP and ask for your payment NOW! Maybe not so rudely but you know what I mean. She's going to let it go as long as you do, so don't!

Good luck to ya! thumbs_up.gif

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:54pm
post #45 of 110

I think your invoice looks good, just make sure she knows you need your cake board back. The $20 discount might make someone think they can keep it.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:55pm
post #46 of 110

I'm sorry, but I don't see why anyone would be mad at the friend. It's the sellers responsibility to talk about payment and I personally think that an invoice email and not a personal discussion is not very friendly and whimpy.

Price should have been settled BEFORE the cake was made and she came OVER to pay you - as she stated, so it was YOUR responsibility to bring it up when she came over. She might REALLY think that you are just being super nice and are not wanting to charge for a friend or something.

If you were my friend, and I see that you are not saying anything about price, I would think to myself, "Geez, how does she ever expect to make money if she's afraid to talk about the price of the cake?" Either that or, "Gee, my friend is so nice, I came over to pay and she acted like there was nothing to pay... wow, what a friend, a free cake with all that work! I'll have to do something really nice for her for such an amazing gift."

NOWHERE would it enter my consciousness that you, my friend, the cake baker was feeling SCREWED because I didn't pay you? Heck, you never even told her HOW MUCH???? So, how should she KNOW how much she should even discreetly leave on the table????

Am I the ONLY one who feels it's the seller here that is messing up and NOT the friend?

Melissa

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 6:59pm
post #47 of 110

Well we will see I sent the email out. So I just have to see what she says. I wont hear anything until tomorrow. Thanks for everyones help!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:00pm
post #48 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

my friend picked up the cake and never offered me any money for the cake, mind you when she came for the cake it was pouring outside so we really didnt stand around to bullshuck about the price or anything. Packed the cake in her car and she left. Megan

Maybe your friend thinks that her friend already paid for it.

aleamon98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aleamon98 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:04pm
post #49 of 110

It was discussed or I gathered the pricing was discussed upon ordering the cake - with the "my friend is paying for it" that her friend told her and the talk of the discount.
I think that the invoice is professional and the best way to handle it, friend or foe. A business is a business. The friend knew she was suppose to pay - she didn't. She is definitely at fault. It doesn't matter who brings the topic of payment up - it was known that money was owed for the cake, that should have been paid.
Do you wait for the cashier at Walmart to tell you your total or how much you owe before you have slide your card?
You know you owe someone for a product, you should pay regardless.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:04pm
post #50 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

If you were my friend, and I see that you are not saying anything about price, I would think to myself, "Geez, how does she ever expect to make money if she's afraid to talk about the price of the cake?" Either that or, "Gee, my friend is so nice, I came over to pay and she acted like there was nothing to pay... wow, what a friend, a free cake with all that work! I'll have to do something really nice for her for such an amazing gift."

I have to say I don't totally agree with this. Yes, as the baker, it is our responsibility to set the price and collect payment. But, this situation makes me think of a very close friend who is a hairdresser. Whenever she cuts my hair, I have to ask her three or four times how much I owe her. She doesn't like to talk about money, but I would NEVER assume that because she didn't ask for the money that I don't owe it to her.

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:05pm
post #51 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

I'm sorry, but I don't see why anyone would be mad at the friend. It's the sellers responsibility to talk about payment and I personally think that an invoice email and not a personal discussion is not very friendly and whimpy.

Price should have been settled BEFORE the cake was made and she came OVER to pay you - as she stated, so it was YOUR responsibility to bring it up when she came over. She might REALLY think that you are just being super nice and are not wanting to charge for a friend or something.

NOWHERE would it enter my consciousness that you, my friend, the cake baker was feeling SCREWED because I didn't pay you? Heck, you never even told her HOW MUCH???? So, how should she KNOW how much she should even discreetly leave on the table????

Am I the ONLY one who feels it's the seller here that is messing up and NOT the friend?

Melissa

You state sending an email is whimpy and what not, but when she had asked me about the price it was over IM and I thought it was not the place to tell her how much she owed me. So I thought it would come up again once she came over but it didnt. So I did what everyone send and sent out an email.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:10pm
post #52 of 110

I kind of agree Melissa but I'm also confused as to why she came over today?

Silvercat, did she say she was coming over today to pay you? If so, then I think she's wrong for leaving and not doing so. She's taking advantage of you being way too nice. Even if you did not bring up the exact price, she knows she owes - who wouldn't?

However, I do think you need to be more direct. I know it can be hard discussing this at times, espeically with friends, but if we don't do it, who will?

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:12pm
post #53 of 110

What a stressful situation? I feel for you. At least this is a lesson for you and for me too! Good luck and liet us know what happens.

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:16pm
post #54 of 110

Okay I think I left out that this is my best friend and she really does want to see me doing cakes and is very proud of what I do! She came over to do some wash before work. I thoguht the several times that the "cake" subject was brought up by me she would than ask how much money she owes. If she can ask for the price over IM I think she can ask in person. I didnt tell her the price over Im bc I didnt think it was the right way to handle it, I also did not want to send and email but I did.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:22pm
post #55 of 110

I hope everything turns great.
Keep us posted.....

garnet2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
garnet2007 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:35pm
post #56 of 110

I agree with Janette,

You are really getting paid for your time and talent. Do not give that away. She really doesn't need to know how much $ you have in it. Your customer will actuallly respect you for acting like a professional business woman

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:42pm
post #57 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

Okay I think I left out that this is my best friend and she really does want to see me doing cakes and is very proud of what I do! She came over to do some wash before work. I thoguht the several times that the "cake" subject was brought up by me she would than ask how much money she owes. If she can ask for the price over IM I think she can ask in person. I didnt tell her the price over Im bc I didnt think it was the right way to handle it, I also did not want to send and email but I did.

Well, that's why you two are best friends, she doesn't want to bring it up and you don't want to bring it up and because you ARE best friends, discussing money is HARD period. I reallly think she plans to pay you (but again, I reiterate, next time tell her beforehand how much it will cost so she is prepared for the price).

I know with my best friend that whenever money things transpire, we'll just discreetly leave an envelope by the entry table or something. I know when my best friend was visiting, I was paying most things (just because it's easier than dividing a bill in some places). I didn't expect to pay, but that's how it worked out, but when seh left, I found a check on the bed she was staying in for about the amount I had "spent" on her meals...

I wasn't trying to be harsh earlier, but everyone here only knows what you present and saying that this friend isn't a friend and don't make cakes for her again, etc., is REALLY jumping the gun if they weren't there to see the whole thing unravel, you know?

My "gut" is telling me that she fully intends to pay and is also drumming up business for you, but it's just so awkward... hopefully, the email you sent (especially since it was sent with humor (sniffing buttercream)) will resolve everything.

let us know!
melissa

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:55pm
post #58 of 110

I also said earlier that I think you jumped the gun but right away stating "I got screwed" I know I would be mortified if My so called best friend starting talking bad about me and didnt have the courtesy to at least talk to me in person when she had the chance. I truly think you handled this badly from your first post. I think that because you feel awkward about talking to her that you are going to ruin a good friendship and for what? You dont know for a fact that she is not intending to pay you and I'm sorry if you end up with egg on your face when she does pay you and says something like "omg I'm so sorry of course I'll pay" or something similar. I sure hope she doesnt ever read any of this stuff for your friendship's sake. I truly believe that you should have asked her when you had the chance just like you should have been clear about the price in the begining as I said non cake/decorator people dont realize how expensive these cakes can be. I truly hope you manage to keep your friendship going after this fiasco. Just my opinion and now I'll keep quiet on this subject sorry if I offend you I just think really good friends are worth keeping unless they have done something wrong and know it. tapedshut.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:59pm
post #59 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcat

I also said earlier that I think you jumped the gun but right away stating "I got screwed" I know I would be mortified if My so called best friend starting talking bad about me and didnt have the courtesy to at least talk to me in person when she had the chance. I truly think you handled this badly from your first post. I think that because you feel awkward about talking to her that you are going to ruin a good friendship and for what? You dont know for a fact that she is not intending to pay you and I'm sorry if you end up with egg on your face when she does pay you and says something like "omg I'm so sorry of course I'll pay" or something similar. I sure hope she doesnt ever read any of this stuff for your friendship's sake. I truly believe that you should have asked her when you had the chance just like you should have been clear about the price in the begining as I said non cake/decorator people dont realize how expensive these cakes can be. I truly hope you manage to keep your friendship going after this fiasco. Just my opinion and now I'll keep quiet on this subject sorry if I offend you I just think really good friends are worth keeping unless they have done something wrong and know it. tapedshut.gif

In total agreement

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:16pm
post #60 of 110

I am not offended by anything anyone has said here. I just said " I think I got screwed" because it was the first thoughts that rolled into my head this morning when I woke up. I slept on this whole cake thing all night thinking is she going to pay or not. I am sure she will but that was just my feeling when I woke up and posted about the cake. I did NOT mean to come here and bash my friend but it was just how I felt. She has been here and there for me as I have been for her! I thank you all that have helped me out today and yes I have learned from this lesson, very much so. I have really had a reality check here today as I will now start collecting half the cost of the cake before anything is bought, baked or even thougth about!! I have also made a sorta contract for me to take notes on and have all the important info I need for my next order. Thanks again Megan!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%