How Is A Nice Way To Turn Down A Job?

Business By Chef_mary_mac Updated 21 Apr 2006 , 5:04am by JamieL

Chef_mary_mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_mary_mac Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 6:27am
post #1 of 8

This is the first job I will have to turn down. It's my SISTER'S Wedding. The thing is I would LOVE to make her wedding cake but they wedding is half way across the country and I don't plan on flying in until a few days before. I'm not sure if I'll even have a kitchen to work out of! Anyway- how do nicely tell her I can't? I was thinking maybe I could pay for her cake to be made by a local baker. That being my gift to her. Thanks for any advice!

7 replies
AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 6:57am
post #2 of 8

Hello there! If it was me, I would tell her that you want to spend time with her and to help her out with everything. Because, believe me (and we all know this here) that baking and decorating a cake does take time. And it's not like you can make it ahead of time and freeze it or something easy like that. Tell her, if the wedding was closer to you, you would be more than glad to do it. Like you said-the buying a cake for a gift is perfect. Good luck! ~Josie icon_smile.gif

zizi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zizi Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 7:47am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowndiva

Hello there! If it was me, I would tell her that you want to spend time with her and to help her out with everything. Because, believe me (and we all know this here) that baking and decorating a cake does take time. And it's not like you can make it ahead of time and freeze it or something easy like that. Tell her, if the wedding was closer to you, you would be more than glad to do it. Like you said-the buying a cake for a gift is perfect. Good luck! ~Josie icon_smile.gif

I'm sure your sister will appreciate your honesty when you tell her that you won't be able to have your usual tools and implements available not to mention a suitable place to make the cake. As you said, transportation is out of the question.

If you tell her gently, I'm sure she'll understand. As a creative person, I'm sure your sister will find many tasks you can help with. For example you may be able to help with the flowers, make up, dressing up the church or venure and also the reception place. Just give her plenty of time to work out what she would like to do.

I hope your sister's wedding goes well and she understands your position.

Best wishes,

Zizi

www.cakedecoratingprofits.com
[email protected]

mmariamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmariamm Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 8:02am
post #4 of 8

It does take time to make a really stunning and great cake, and that probably goes double for wedding cakes. So talk to your sister, tell her that you'd love to make her wedding cake, but that due to distances and all you won't be able to. She'll undertand.

When I read this, the first thing that came into mind, was that you could probably find a CC-member close to where the wedding is being held. And instead of getting the cake (if you are to make that your gift to your sister) from an anonymous baker, you might find someone in here who could help you out - make a cake with love and all the home-made qualities that we bring to our cakes.
Just a thought

/mmariamm

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 10:30am
post #5 of 8

[

When I read this, the first thing that came into mind, was that you could probably find a CC-member close to where the wedding is being held. you might find someone in here who could help you out - make a cake with love and all the home-made qualities that we bring to our cakes.
Just a thought

/mmariamm[/quote]

I REALLY like this IDEA thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 11:18am
post #6 of 8

I think mmariamm had an excellent suggestion. That would be much better then picking an unknow bakery.

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 11:28am
post #7 of 8

You could just order the un iced cake from the local bakery and ice and decorate yourself when you get there. All you would need to take would be parchment triangles and the tips you would use and your spatuals's.

JamieL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieL Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 5:04am
post #8 of 8

Another option would be to make a miniature beautiful wedding cake for her the first time she visits--even if it is more like a Two Month Anniversary Cake, or something. I think you're smart to save your emotional energy to support your sister instead of using it to make the cake--this way you'll be really present for the wedding--instead of having your mind running all over the place. Best wishes to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%