Count Me In As Another Lover Of Penny's Recipe.. And A ???

Baking By FromScratch Updated 17 Apr 2007 , 3:14pm by partyhelper

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 16

I made soem cookies yesterday with the kids and we used Penny's recipe and they came out so good!! I love that you don't need to wait for it to chill to use it. We used Antonia's icing and it worked so nicely.. I thinned it out and just let them have at it.. I shold have taken some pictures as they were too cute. I have a zipper bag full of the icing so I know we'll make more.. I'll take pics then. I want to give the NFSC recipe a try too just to experiment.

Anyone have a good chocolate sugar cookie recipe?? Could I add some dutch process cocoa powder to this recipe and have good results?

TIA!!

15 replies
tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 16

I've added cocoa to the recipe before and it turned it out fine. You could also use this recipe:

http://www.kitchengifts.com/chocolatecookies.html

It's also good. It's often referred to as the chocolate NFSC. thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks so much! We'll give it a try! icon_biggrin.gif

luvmygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmygirl Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 16

What is Penny's recipe?

I can't find it when I did a search-

Thanks

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 16

I love Penny's too, I havent' altered it yet though, I was wondering that though. But a month ago I asked on here for a chocolate rolled cookie recipe and someone (I wish I could remember who!) told me to use the Wilton recipe in the yearbook and add melted baking chocolate to it. When I looked up the recipe in the yearbook the chocolate version is in there too. It's like 3 oz melted unsweetened chocolate. I made 7 dozen of them for wedding cookies and everyone loved them, and they barely spread at all.

FromScratch Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 16

This link will take you to Penny's recipe..

http://www.texasmonthly.com/mag/issues/2000-12-01/statefare.php

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 16

Does Penny have a web site?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 16

Does anyone know who Penny is?? I have to try this recipe, but I always like to know about the author.

mom2c-m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2c-m Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 3:42am
post #9 of 16

All I know is her name is Penny McConnell. She has a bakery, Penny's Pastries, in Austin, TX. You can do a google search.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 10:52am
post #10 of 16

Is Penny's recipe better than NFSC? Does it work as well? Taste as good? Does it last as long since there is cream in it? Does one batch make the same amount as NFSC? Sorry for the million questions....

mom2c-m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2c-m Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 5:40am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupcakemom

Is Penny's recipe better than NFSC? Does it work as well? Taste as good? Does it last as long since there is cream in it? Does one batch make the same amount as NFSC? Sorry for the million questions....

Never tried NFSC, but Penny's is wonderful!! I had leftover Easter cookies sitting on the counter in an airtight container for over a week and they tasted the same as fresh. I used the full recipe that I got from Mac (uses 4T vanilla). It made 6 dozen 3 inch cookies.
HTH

partyhelper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partyhelper Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 6:10am
post #12 of 16

Penny's recipe is the best!
you know you can use whole milk or half and half instead of cream and you can use half butter and half margarine also. Also you can omit the baking powder to help them stay flat.
Penny's is my favorite recipe since I saw here demo a couple of years ago and it has never let me down.
Penny also has book out . I think it 's called Cookie Stories

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:39pm
post #13 of 16

I'm trying this soon! It sounds great!

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:57pm
post #14 of 16

Read the recipe.....does the glaze have to be put on it even if you are using the icing???? Would really like to try this recipe this afternoon.....thanks....

FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 16

No.. if you are going to ice the cookies with a royal icing or something like that you don't need to glaze them too. You don't need to glaze or ice them at all if you don't want to.

I am definitely going to try omitting the baking powder because they do puff up and spread and you lose some of the definition of your cookie.. but the texture is so nice.. If you leave out the baking powder are they really hard?

partyhelper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partyhelper Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 16

When you bake the cookies w/o the baking powder you need to watch and not over bake them, but if you keep them air tight the are usually fine. I also run a spatula or a small rolling pin over the cookies when I first remove them from the oven to make sure the top is flat especially when I use the baking powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%