So Bummed..........

Decorating By itsloops Updated 17 Apr 2007 , 11:07pm by itsloops

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 2:57am
post #1 of 25

I wanted to bake and decorate a cake for my nephew this weekend.

He is turning 3.

The problem is that he really really wanted this cake that someone has posted in their pictures.

I pm'd this person for permission to duplicate but did not get a response.

Saturday is the big day. icon_cry.gif

Any suggestions as to what I should do??

Please help. icon_sad.gif

24 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:02am
post #2 of 25

well, its a tricky situation, but technically you can't copywrite or trademark an idea. just the actual item or product. so make it anyway and it will be YOUR original creation. odds are it won't look exactly the same. the real problem is when people take others PHOTOS of others WORK. but this will be your work and your cake.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:03am
post #3 of 25

In my opinion, if somebody posts their picture, they're sharing it with the world, on purpose, and they realize that other people will use it for ideas. Other people may even duplicate it down to the last detail (God knows it's happened to me.) I think it's fine if you copy it, as long as you give credit to the original artist if you decide to post it here.

azlorri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azlorri Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:03am
post #4 of 25

While I think it's nice that you asked for permission...I don't see any reason for you NOT to make the cake. Everyone who posts here realizes that their cakes are being viewed by other decorators; many of whom will attempt the great designs. It won't be an exact copy; it will still have your touches too. I say, GO FOR IT!!!

johannap_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johannap_73 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:06am
post #5 of 25

if it were me i would just do the cake it is not as if it is for a paying customer it is for a family member and if cake decorators dont want their work copied they wouldnt put their photos on this site...i would be proud if someone wanted to copy my work....anyway are there trademarks on decorated cakes...that is y people post here to give everyone different ideas to use and to get feed back...i say go for it....

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:06am
post #6 of 25

Well, you have been kind and pm'd the person which was the right thing to do. However, if you do not hear back from him/her then I would go ahead and make the cake. If you post pictures of your cake just be sure and say where/who you got the idea from so proper credit can be given. We all post our pictures here knowing it is possible for them to be created by someone else so I do not see how anyone could be bent out of shape over their cake being re-created, especially when you have ask first but have received no reply.

Enjoy your nephew's birthday and I hope you make the cake you are wanting to make! icon_smile.gif

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:09am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by azlorri

While I think it's nice that you asked for permission...I don't see any reason for you NOT to make the cake. Everyone who posts here realizes that their cakes are being viewed by other decorators; many of whom will attempt the great designs. It won't be an exact copy; it will still have your touches too. I say, GO FOR IT!!!

thumbs_up.gif Imitation is the most sincere form of a compliment! I hope one day I might do a cake that someone likes enough to duplicate!

itsloops Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:12am
post #8 of 25

Of course I would give the credit to the original 'decorator.'

I know some people may be upset if someone else copies their cake that is why I wanted to ask for permission. Upsetting anyone on CC is the last thing I want. This place is great.

There is so much talent here on CC. I wish I could make everyones cakes. icon_lol.gif

Thanks for all your help. I think I will go ahead with the project and keep you posted of the final result.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:17am
post #9 of 25

I do not ask for permission, but give credit to the original maker for the idea.

Stephanie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:44am
post #10 of 25

brides bring me pics of wedding cakes all the time .... it never crossed my mind to contact Bride's Magazine to see if it's ok to make one that looks almost the same.

Make it.

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:57am
post #11 of 25

One of my superiors at the church once told me, "its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." Ohhh sooo true! Everyone on here posts their photos for the world to see, if someone made a rendition of one of my cakes, I'd be honored, not upset. As someone else previously said in the post, you can't trademark an idea. Be creative, and have fun, make the cake! I'm sure your little nephew will appreciate it!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:07am
post #12 of 25

Is this person invited to your Nepheu's party? I don't see the isue...is it about posting the picture here later? do you NEED to post it?

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:24am
post #13 of 25

I have saved many photos I found here on CC for future ideas. If I ever made one of the cakes I would definately give credit where it is due. But first....I need to improve my decorating skills icon_lol.gif

Make the cake, take a pic and show us what you did!!

itsloops Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 25

Ok CC,
So here is the cake that I made.

I want to Thank SheilaF for being so kind and allowing me to use her cake idea for my nephew. He must have been the happiest 3 year old ever.

I also want to thank everyone for all their support.

Loops
LL

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:17pm
post #15 of 25

That cake is Awesome!! I love it!! No wonder your nephew wanted that one. thumbs_up.gif

itsloops Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:24pm
post #16 of 25

You should see her cake. She made her "Thomas"
I purchased mine. icon_redface.gif

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:31pm
post #17 of 25

You did a GREAT JOB!!!! Who cares if you bought your Thomas it still looks great plus that way your nephew can keep him. icon_biggrin.gif

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:37pm
post #18 of 25

I agree. Once it's posted, I think it's "fair game". It was nice of you to ask.
Someone copied my duck baby shower cake almost exactly. I dont' sell them anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:37pm
post #19 of 25

That is so CUTE! You did a great job! I'm glad you went ahead and made it - I know I only aspire to make a cake someone would copy!!

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:04pm
post #20 of 25

fantastic job!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:38pm
post #21 of 25

YDG!!!! RG ! ! ! !

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:48pm
post #22 of 25

Wow - great cake! You did an amazing job.

TracyRu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyRu Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:49pm
post #23 of 25

I am definitely not ashamed to say that some of the cakes on cake central are better than most "professional" cakes I see at shops, or even online. I am forever greatful for the ideas I get from here, and I hope that by using them it is flattering to the original creator...

The Thomas cake is great, my son would adore it!

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:56pm
post #24 of 25

SO GOOD!

I am proud to know so many talented people.

itsloops Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:07pm
post #25 of 25

I too am really greatful for this site as well.

I took a class last Spring but didn't know where to go after that. I mean for ideas and support as my husband wasn't very supportive at first even though it was his idea for me to go and take the class in the first place. icon_mad.gif

But that is another story. Now he's asking me to take another class which I intend to take but my point is, I wouldn't have made this cake because I don't have that kind of talent.

I can see something and copy it but I don't think I'd be able to get the idea for this cake out of my brain.

So yes! I am very thankful for CC and all the wonderful people on it. icon_biggrin.gif

Thank You all for being part of it and for always having positive things to say.

~Hugs~
Loops

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%