Help Chocolate Clay

Decorating By TastersDelight Updated 11 Apr 2006 , 12:11am by TastersDelight

TastersDelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TastersDelight Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I'm at the end of chocolate cake due out in the morning. I'm using the chocolate clay recipe from this site, I've used it before. But for some reason today, the chocolate is crumbling, it won't shape at all!
I thought about the choco pan fondant, but says needs a day to set, don't have that time.
Any ideas how to fix the crumbling? Do you think it just needs more than 2 hours to sit.
Thanks for any help

5 replies
TastersDelight Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 6

bumping

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 6

No real answer but to only time I had that problem was when I OVER cooked or heated the chocolate. It just ruined it. Maybe did you over heat it??

MinD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinD Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 6

Usually when I make candy clay I have to let it sit overnight and then work with it the next day. The consistency is kind of clumpy when you first mix it , but it will smooth out.... the key thing is you have to let it sit and I usually wrap it in parchment... it helps absorb any extra oils or liquid.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 6

I had trouble one time when I heated the chocolate and corn syrup together........nasty......it all separated and was a hard clump and a bunch of oil.yuck!!! One time I had the same thing happen with white chocolate and I think I got the chocoalte too hot when I added the corn syrup...be sure you melt the chocolate just enough so that it IS melted and then let it cool slightly and add the corn syrup...I usually let mine sit for 10-15 min. or so and I can make roses with it!!!

TastersDelight Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 12:11am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all your input, tried again, ended up scrapping the idea. I went with chocolate curls instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%