1 And 3/4 Hrs Late!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By MustloveDogs Updated 9 Apr 2006 , 3:55am by MustloveDogs

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 10:01am
post #1 of 18

OH my gosh, I am so peeved at this customer! She organised to pick up her cake at 8am this morning (saturday) and then turned up almost 2 hours later!!! I rang her and got messagebank twice but she never rang back! I politely brought it up when she arrived and she briefly apologised, I mean she was really nice but seriously nearly 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!
Hubby was saying did I write down the correct date (which I knew I had) and I started to doubt myself! Then I thought she had forgotten entirely and I would be stuck with a finished cake and no money. (I currently don't take deposits as I work from home and figure it would be a pain for them to drop in twice).

I had to get up sooo early this morning to get the house sparkling!
I thought maybe I will have to say to customers ring me if you are going to be late! My 2 yo and 4yo children were almost batty by the time we got out of the house to the playground!

Just had to vent..I just thought it was really rude! icon_mad.gif

17 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 10:07am
post #2 of 18

Very rude! I agree with you, especially at 8 am, not everybody has to be up that early and be prepared on a Saturday morning! Janice

Hope the rest of your day is great!

MustloveDogs Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 10:11am
post #3 of 18

thanks janice,
I normally get such a high from the customer seeing their cake for the first time, but by the time she eventually got there, I was too stressed out!!

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 10:13am
post #4 of 18

Keira,

One of the problems in this industry like all retail/service industries, is that people think they have the right to keep us waiting, as they are the customer.

I hope your next customer is more reliable icon_smile.gif

Cheers,
Fran

MustloveDogs Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 10:24am
post #5 of 18

Thanks Fran,
You're right, she honestly thought nothing of it! I had better prepare for it not being the last time!

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 10:25am
post #6 of 18

you may have to consider asking for a deposit for future cakes that way you are at least covered for your outlay should you have the occassion occur of a no show... and I hope this never happens.

Other suggestions would be to deliver the cake yourself that way you know the drop off time exactly or if they want or you want them to pick up the cake, give them a 1 hour window.... let them know you will not be home after that time.... this will force them to be on time.

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 10:31am
post #7 of 18

First off - (((hugs)))

Secondly - do you give them a written quote or order sheet or anything? I was thinking that if you did, you could put a "late fee" clause or something. Just specify that there will be an additional charge if they are late picking up their cake.

MustloveDogs Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 10:45am
post #8 of 18

What great ideas!
I will definitely do the hour window idea, because with toddlers you don't want to be stuck in the house all day waiting!

I can easily email them a late clause included in my confirmation!
Thanks everyone! You always make me feel so much better!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 18

I can relate...I had a lady almost 2 hours late one day also..She wasn't a regular and I haven't seen her since but when she finally arrived she said she got lost....I think she forgot!! I phone also as you did but if they aren't home or don't answer..what can yah do!! I currently don't charge deposits either.Hope the rest of your day goes better!!

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 18

So far I have not had this problem since my cakes have all been for family and friends. Hope if she orders from you again she will have the courtesy to let you know she will be late- for whatever reason. If she's lost, she should call and get the right directions. If she can't get to you on time and you have to deliver, there should also be a delivery fee. Even if just a small one.
Tabby

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 18

One of the things you can do is set up a window period when you know you will be there and doing other things. For Instance cake pickups between 10 and 12. After that no one will be home to answer. When they do call back tell them in a nice way that you charge for waiting.

sdfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfisher Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 18

I just hate it when people do that to you! It's like your time is not valuable. I have had a few people who do that....it's usually the ones who call up at 5 on Friday and NEED a Sleeping Beauty cake at 10 on Sat.....and oh..they are so sorry but they forgot to order....how do you forget your childs birthday???? I have one lady who does this ALL the time....and then she is usually late picking it up....so ...I just automatically charge her at least 10.00 more than I would charge anyone else....or I tell her I am booked and can't do it.....anyhow, getting off the subject..sorry....lol.

Cheers,
Shirley

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 18

Oh yes hurry up so I can be late! I have had this happen to me and I am a VERY scheduled person. icon_mad.gif CRAZY icon_mad.gif
I tell them, for weddings, no $$ no cake even baked. My teacher learned the hard way. Usually I ask for it 2 weeks in advance. If they order anything and want it in 3 weeks or less $$ first.
Most BD cakes are for friends so no big deal to me. but on a wedding NO CHANCES from me

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 2:56am
post #14 of 18

I know that can be really annoying! I have had some of those customers too. Recently...I had someone call me for an order and she wanted it the same day. I rushed to get it finished for her. She called me at 8:30 p.m. and said that she would pick it up from me the following day! I so would not have rushed to finish it that fast. And on top of all that...she told me that my icing was too sweet!!!!

Cheer up...sometimes you just have to laugh! icon_biggrin.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 3:11am
post #15 of 18

Well in my line of work (bakery lead at a walmart) I find what is worse is someone coming in early to see if their cake is done. I have actually had people call and see if they can pick their cake up the day before it's due. Sheesh!!!!
But then again, I had a cake I did for a boyscout troop that took a lot of work and they didn't show up for two days!!!! Didn't call or anything. We finally called, (usually wait til the next day sometimes stuff comes up) So we put the cake in the cooler and called em and still didn't get anyone breathing. But did leave a message. Finally that after noon someone finally came to pick it up.
Found out later that because it was buttercream AND filled. The weight of the frosting squashed the cake in the middle (it was a full sheet cake). They wondered if that was done intentionally. Geez I am trying to get rid of "our" slab cake reputation and something like that happens.
O the stories I could tell yas.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 3:44am
post #16 of 18

That is really rude, the least she could have done is called!

Dennisclan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennisclan Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 3:53am
post #17 of 18

I can completely understand. I had a lady show up over 2 hours late this morning. I had all of the cakes scheduled to be picked up at 10:00 a.m. She didn't show up until after 12:00. It was really hard to explain to my 3 children why they missed a birthday party today (the twins are 6 and my daughter is 4 1/2). I tried to call her on her cell phone and home phone, but no answer. She didn't even give an explanation when she showed up for the cake. She was the one who had called twice this week to make sure the cake would be ready no later than 10:00a.m. This is one of the hardest parts of making cakes out of your home. Hopefully, there won't be too many more like this.

MustloveDogs Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 3:55am
post #18 of 18

Thanks heaps for your wonderful support everyone!

I was just so horrified because I would NEVER do that to anyone!

I have learned the hard way though that I will have to tell them to come from 8-9am for example and that I am going out after that and won't be home and also that maybe I had better start taking deposits!

I appreciate all the wonderfuL tips! I will definitely put them into practice and learn from this experience! ( I think hubby was kind of hoping to eat the cake, but as he is an accountant and loves his money, was happier to get payment instead!!! icon_lol.gif )

You all make me feel so much better! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%