Stanley Cup Hockey Cake..help Constructing!!!

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 11:33pm by Lady_bug768

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a Stanley cup hockey cake for an 11 yr olds Birthday April 20th.I am not making it lifesize but rather scaled down to feed about 30 people.I am also not making all the bottom rings as the pic below shows but maybe 1 or 2 and then the subsequent tiers above.A few questions......What size would you make the rings?? 8 inch?? and go up from there?? I have all the smaller pans so that is not an issue.What would I make the large bowl from on top as heavy cake would just collapse since the smaller tiers below won't hold it's size?? Any ideas....also should I just star tip the whole thing as fondant isn't popular here and is expensive and I am only charging $65.00.

Any tips and Ideas would be great!!!

Laurel thumbs_up.gif
LL

9 replies
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 10

I think 8 inch sounds good. I would make the top bowl in chocolate or gumpaste. I've done a chocolate dome and it was very easy. I think a BC covering would be fine. (I'd probably spread it on, though, as I'm not a fan of the star tip!)

All the best!

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 10

What about making the top out of rice krispie cake that way you could still ice over it.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 10

I would make it using the marshmallow fondant recipe. It will give you the texture you want and you could use silver luster dust to make it metallic silver like the real Stanley cup.

I am not sure you to do the structure. I would look in the gallery and pm people that used PVC for their structures. That would be my guess to making it sturdy. Good luck and post pics.

Lady_bug768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_bug768 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 10

What a cool idea. How about a 12 in/ 10 in/ 8 in and then a six inch top. You can make the bowl out of a very lightweight material. Are you going to try and go for a silver finish? icon_smile.gif

Lady_bug768 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 10

Sorry to post so soon but how about for the structure you run a some dowels through the entire cake. Top to bottom. I would think that three or four should do the trick. Please post a pic after you are done.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 10

all kinds of options:

yes top could be cake if used 1/2 sports balls and then had it resting on a cakeboard that was supported by 4 or so dowels that went down to next cake board.

this will need intermediate cake boards to make sure it is extra stable--all properly doweled -- and of course the one center dowel all the way through.

could do the big base as the cake. tapered rising part as rice krispies.

and can add styrofoam to make full size

cover in smoothed butter cream and if have -- spray w/ sliver luster dust or just brush on the dust

-----

a visualizing hint --- look at as an oddly shaped wedding cake -- all the same techniques just an out there shape.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 10

I made a stanley cup cake about 6 yrs ago - thank goodness it was for family!

I had a wooden square base with a 1/2 inch wide dowel rod so that I could put all the cakes down the rod - it didn't support the top "cup" part. I used the wondermold pan and put it upside down... I would suggest a fake top or the rice krispie for the the top... I can really only advise you on what not to do!

Good luck, I'm sure yours will turn out much better than mine!

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 10

i say NOOOOOOO to the star tip.

Lady_bug768 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 10

Could you make the Stanley Cup a dummy cake and then a favorite hockey team cake on the side? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%