Has Anyone Tried The Icing At Sam's Club?

Decorating By lovescakes Updated 17 Apr 2007 , 7:28am by LadyMike

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 41

I have to make 4 big cakes this weekend and I thought I would buy a bucket of icing from Sam's club for twenty some $ to save time but I wonder if its any good. thanks

40 replies
galdamez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galdamez Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 41

Holly cow!! icon_eek.gif I didnt know Sams Club sold icing.
I would love to know if the icing at Sams club taste good.
I only have membership to Costco but they told me the dont sell any icing, I may just need to membership to Sams Club.

lovescakes Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:23am
post #3 of 41

anybody?

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarshock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarshock Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:34am
post #5 of 41

I use it, its one of the two buttercreams that I offer. It tastes good and and crusts good. I warm it up for crumb coat but after that its easy to use. The price is good, too. Added bonus is that I know its shelf safe and freezeable for my needs and I think its tastes better than my homemade powder sugar crisco recipes.
It gives me time to focus on my favorite part of the whole process, the decorating.
Not everyone will feel the same way about this, I'm sure, but it works for me.
The frosting I'm referring to, though, is not Rich's Bettercreme. It is a traditional sweet buttercream, not the whipped cream flavor like Rich's.

p_hernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p_hernandez Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:09am
post #6 of 41

WOW!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:20am
post #8 of 41

I only use Rich's Bettercreme and I have not had any complaints whatsoever. But just like any frosting you have to be used to it to like it.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:24am
post #9 of 41

Shop and Stop uses Bettercream too.

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:48am
post #10 of 41

My Sam's doesn't have it icon_sad.gif . I sure wish they did, I shop at Sam's ever week.

Moofiebonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moofiebonbon Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:37am
post #11 of 41

I believe that you have to ask for the icing in bakery department, they don't have it in the regular store sections, at least not at my Sam's. Give them a call in the bakery dept before making a trip and ask if they do or will sell it to you. I did and they sold it to me today for $22.24 for a 16.5 lb bucket. Hope this helps!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 41

OK, my question is what icing are you talking about? they have two

bUttercream-standard buttercream, sweeter. I like this one as long as it is not on the cake very thick
bEttercream-Rich's bettercreme, is like a cool whip. It isn't bad some people this is all they will eat and others don't care for it, i'm in between, it depends on my mood

youngestdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngestdecorator Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:51pm
post #13 of 41

I think moofiebonbon is talking about the bUttercream frosting, they do sell that whipped stuff, but the buttercream is what i bought from sam's club for only about 25 bucks and the bucket is huge. Hope you can try it out.

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:52pm
post #14 of 41

I use the buttercream, chocolate bc and the cream cheese icing from Sam's. It is much more cost effective and everyone that I have done cakes for likes it alot.

You do have to go to the bakery dept and ask for it. Don't let them tell you they can't sell it that way. Sometimes I get a person that doesn't want to be bothered with going and getting the buckets for me. icon_twisted.gif HTH.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:19pm
post #15 of 41

THis is such a great idea...I only have a membership to Costco but never had a cake from there. Has anyone had the Costco buttercream? Is that any good??

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:24pm
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

I only use Rich's Bettercreme and I have not had any complaints whatsoever. But just like any frosting you have to be used to it to like it.

Is the Bettercreme hard to decorate with?

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:31pm
post #17 of 41

Bettercrme is actually easier to decorate with..IMO...all of the decorators at the stores prefer working with it as it is lighter, easier on the hands, and seems to smooth easier. The only thing is, colors are not as rich. You cannot get a deep color out of it.

The buttercream at our Sam's here is different....they have to mix it from a base.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 9:33pm
post #18 of 41

OMG! I didn't know Sam's sold icing! Good to know!

Andrea

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:19am
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by polliwawg

Bettercrme is actually easier to decorate with..IMO...all of the decorators at the stores prefer working with it as it is lighter, easier on the hands, and seems to smooth easier.

Sorry I have to dissagree with this comment. The bakery I worked in there were a total of 6 other decorators I worked with over the time i was there and we all hated the bEttercreme. Once it gets warm all the air wholes expand and we had a hard time cleaning it up. We all dreaded doing cakes with it..... Just another side of the story, not saying this is normal, but it was in this bakery

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:39am
post #20 of 41

I just bought a gallon carton of the Rich's bettercream for like 15 bucks at Cash'n'Carry. I thought it was fantastic to decorate with and tasted awesome too...just light like whipped cream. I made decorations with it...just some minor ones but it worked just fine. I froze what was leftover and have since piped the frozen stuff....yum yum!!!
thumbs_up.gif

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:12am
post #21 of 41

In the second thread about bEttercream provided by Rezzycakes, mconrey said:

"When you buy it in quarts - it's the liquid version. So you have to whip it up yourself. Saves on space and it's not too hard to whip up. You just thaw in the fridge overnight and whip it up for about 5 minutes in a cold bowl."

Mconrey was not the only one in that same thread to say you had to thaw it in the fridge before whipping it. icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Because I had seen where several CCer's really liked using this, and I am always looking for new things to offer, I bought some of the quarts of Bettercream from GFS (Gordon Food Service). They were in the freezer at GFS, and I'm keeping them in my deep freeze here, but they are in a liquid form as mconrey said.

My question is - Why would you have to thaw it in the fridge if it's already liquid? Obviously I haven't ever tried this before, so any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Wendoger Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:54am
post #22 of 41

It doesnt freeze to a solid, its kinda chunky...it needs to be smooth liquidy before ya whip it.... thumbs_up.gif

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 5:03am
post #23 of 41

Thanks, Wendoger!

I'm glad this thread came up because I would have thought something was really wrong when I opened one of them for the first time! lol

LadyMike

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:04am
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

I just bought a gallon carton of the Rich's bettercream for like 15 bucks at Cash'n'Carry. I thought it was fantastic to decorate with and tasted awesome too...just light like whipped cream. I made decorations with it...just some minor ones but it worked just fine. I froze what was leftover and have since piped the frozen stuff....yum yum!!!
thumbs_up.gif

Where in Washington..(state?) would love to try this, only 30 mins from the border and would be willing to drive as far as Seattle.. love to shop for baking stuff. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:51am
post #25 of 41

hey guys im the cake decorator at my local sams club. yes our icing tastes good and its cost effective. most clubs sell vanilla and choclate buttercream vanilla and chocolate whipped(richs bettercream) cream cheese, a fudge filling thats really yummy, dark choclate ganache and a german chocolate filling, along with several colors

Wendoger Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:22pm
post #26 of 41

idoweddingcookies....there is one in Kent and Federal Way...unsure if there may some closer to you, we may be going there today or tomorrow so I'll ask where their closest store to you is...or maybe you could find out on-line....
(Cash'n'Carry)
thumbs_up.gif

lovescakes Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:26pm
post #27 of 41

OK, with so many different opinions, I did not know what to do, so I was about to start doing my icing when my DH said .. I'll go to S'SC and bring you a sample of the buttercream from their bakery... and he did and I have to say it tasted pretty good and I spreaded and try to smoothed it with melvira method and it work just fine and also I've seen the girls behind the counter doing lots of flowers and border with it...so I'm going right now to buy a bucket....I hope I don't have any regrets....thanks everybody

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:35pm
post #28 of 41

I was using brill icing for a long time till i came across the sams club icing. It's cheaper than brill and taste much better. Your customers will be pleased.

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm
post #29 of 41

Being fairly new to cake decorating, I have only made my own buttercream. How would those of you that use Sam's Buttercream say it compares to making your own --in flavor, ease of decorating and also cost-effectiveness?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 4:13pm
post #30 of 41

The flavor is excellent! Very easy to ice with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%