Cake Boxes For 9 X 13

Decorating By smileyface Updated 7 Apr 2006 , 9:43pm by funfoodie

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 2:35am
post #1 of 12

Anyone able to find a cake box that fits a 9 x 13 sheet cake better than a 10 x 14 box? That is the only one I can find and it seems like if I don't cut 1/2 inch off my cake, I don't have enough space for a border. Is there a 8 x 12 sheet pan? icon_rolleyes.gif I have the same problem with my 1/2 sheet cakes since all I have found is a 19 x 14 box. Just curious what everyone else does.

TIA!!

11 replies
cdstem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdstem Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 2:43am
post #2 of 12

i work at a food warehouse and we carry several different types of cake boxes. the only two that i can think of are the 10x14 and the 19x14. i have never used the 10x14 myself just because i havent gotten any. i have always used the 19x14. that is what most people that i have talked to use due to the border situation.

sdfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfisher Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 2:51am
post #3 of 12

The boxes that I get are 14x20 and 12x16. I get them from a local cake supply shop here in Austin.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 3:00am
post #4 of 12

Papermart seems to have many different size boxes at great prices!
http://papermart.com/templates/85-0-10.htm

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 3:32am
post #5 of 12

this is because comercially sheet cakes are cut from a full sheet, giving a 1/4sheet at 8x12 and a 1/2 at 12x16. the 9x13 and 12x18 pans are a wilton or home market product, therefore the bakery boxes dont fit our cakes, thats why wilton sells the 14x20 boxes and such. but keep trying you may find a box company that can help you out, if you want to buy quantity.

smileyface Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate them. I am still searching for 11 x 15 or 12 x 16 & the 14 x 20 boxes. Maybe if I can not find them than I should order the magic line cake pans. Those are the only ones I can find online that come in the 8 x 12 and 12 x 16 sizes that will fit the 10x 14 & the 14 x 19 cake boxes I can get here. For now I guess I will just have to keep cutting my cakes down so that I can get a border around them and not smash everything when I box them up.

If anyone knows of a website that sells the larger boxes, please let me know.

Thanks again!!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 12

I too have been looking for a 11x15 box. I can hardly believe that it's this difficult to find them. That would be perfect for the 9x13 cake. Instead I've been using the next larger box so that I can put the borders on and of course the cake gets a bit swallowed up. Please, Please, if you do locate any 11x15 boxes let me know. Good Luck!!!! I'll keep looking too and will of course let everyone know if I do locate some.

funfoodie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 12

If you decide to buy the Magic Line pans, I recommend going to a local restaurant supply store (if available in your area). They vary in price depending on where you go. I paid about $13 for an 8 x12 but also saw it for $20 at a cake supply store. The great thing about these commercial pans is that the sides are perfectly straight, so your cakes have absolutely straight sides.

smileyface Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 12

butternut, I hope we can find a solution soon, my hips icon_eek.gif can't take any more leftover cake. I can't keep myself from eating what I cut off, LOL!!

funfoodie, thanks for the info. I have to agree with you there, I have one magic line pan that I ordered on-line. It bakes the best cake ever; I never realized that the Wilton pans had a slanted side until I baked in the Magic Line pan. Are the round ones straight sided also? I wonder if the Wilton Preferred pans are just as good as the Magic Line ones but then again they don't come in the 8 x 12 pr 12 x 16 sizes so I am stuck. I have not been able to find Magic Line anywhere near me so I will have to order on-line if I can't find the right size boxes.

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 12

i got tired of cutting down my 9x13's too, so i ordered the magic line 8x12 from www.doitwithicing.com for 18.99. the other thing that bugged me about the 9x13 pan is that one cake mix comes out so short. and i never got around to trying out the extender recipe for it. but i love my 8x12, and i can do borders without them smudging on the box.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 12

Smileyface, I too need to figure out what to do with those extra pieces of cake. I lost a great deal of weight last year and over the last 5 weeks, I've put on 10 pounds. Honestly, 10 pounds. I knew that I had gained some because my "fat" pants were getting tight icon_surprised.gif I finally got the nerve to weigh this morning icon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I so wish I hadn't done that!!! I have got to figure out a way to continue making cakes and not taste everything!!! I think I've got some "issues" But geeeez, how do you make a cake for someone and not at least taste the icing? Of course I also make a few cupcakes so that I can make sure that the cake tastes good too. I think I need some strength..........

funfoodie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 12

Smileyface, yes -- the round Magic Line pans have straight sides too. I'm not sure about the Wilton preferred. The only problem with straight sided pans is storage; their perfectly straight sides prevent the pans from nesting into each other. I have several large plastic storage containers just for storing cake pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%