Ribbons On Cakes

Decorating By Coats45 Updated 8 Apr 2007 , 1:31am by indydebi

Coats45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coats45 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 10:52am
post #1 of 9

How do you keep the Crisco from staining the ribbon that is next to the cake?

8 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 9

Some people cut a thin strip of wax paper and wrap it around the cake where the ribbon will go first, then put the ribbon on top. I have also had someone tell me to rub the entire ribbon with veg oil before you put it on. Not sure whether that would change the color of the ribbon, though.

arden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arden Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 9

I am doing a shower cake at the end of this month and am wrapping the cake with ribbon. how do you get the ribbon to stay closed at the ends? Thanks for the wax paper idea that is another answer I needed. Does any one have a recipe for Chocolate mint filling? Thanks for the help.

johannap_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johannap_73 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 9

try and make a ganache and add a little peppermint oil. for the ganach try a ratio of 3 chocolate to 1 cream eg 300g to 100 ml cream

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 9

one of the anniversary cakes I did had a ribbon going around it and I left it on all night before the party and it did not change colors, and I did nothing special to it .. to get it to stick on one end of the ribbon I dabbed some buttercream frosting, and then overlapped the other end just enough to get it to stick to the buttercream ... I hope that makes sense!

arden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arden Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 9

thanks for the advise that is what I needed. I love this website and all the people on it.

cakebabe1403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebabe1403 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:28am
post #7 of 9

Another thing you can do is stick contact paper on the back of your ribbon. I read a thread on here about it & tried it & loved it. It was very easy to attach the contact paper & the ribbon was a breeze to put on. I just put a dab of buttercream up to close up the ends.

Lady_bug768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_bug768 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:27am
post #8 of 9

I've also used piping gel to get stuff to stick and gumpaste mixed with water. Both have worked well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:31am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

one of the anniversary cakes I did had a ribbon going around it and I left it on all night before the party and it did not change colors, and I did nothing special to it .. to get it to stick on one end of the ribbon I dabbed some buttercream frosting, and then overlapped the other end just enough to get it to stick to the buttercream ... I hope that makes sense!

Ditto. I've either bought the right kind or the wrong kind of ribbon, because i've not had a problem with the bleed thru thing that I read about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%