Frosting Trouble...

Decorating By maddy1016 Updated 8 Apr 2007 , 1:28am by mareg

maddy1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1016 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 9

Help!! I am new at making cakes...how can I get a smooth frosting in the cake? Is it best to use store bought or make my own?

8 replies
marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 9

Definately make your own! Search for Buttercream dream- everybody raves about it! Also search for melvira's method! I love it!

Dawn35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn35 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 9

I always make my own frosting. Put the icing on as smooth as you can and let is set up a little. Lay a VIVA paper towel on the icing and rub your fingers over the paper and lift off. Should be smooth. Sometimes I take other brands of paper towels if I want a different look. If you use whipped cream heat your spatula under hot water and you'll get a nice finish.

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 9

Store bought won't really work for decorating unless you buy Wilton's decorator icing, but it is very easy to make your own.
http://www.cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant-The-Paper-Towel-Method----Viva.html
Here is the link to the Viva method.
HTH
By the Way!!
Welcome to CC : )

maddy1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddy1016 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:09am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for your help...I will try the buttercream dream frosting on my Easter cake....

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:19am
post #6 of 9

I like the White as Snow Buttercream (it is a Wilton recipe but it is posted on this site). Don't forget the crumb coat, then use an icer tip or a giant glob of icing all the way around. Then remove/smooth the icing with a big spatula or a spakling tool from the paint store. If I can't get it the first swipe, I use a bit of warm water on the tool to get a finer finish.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:19am
post #7 of 9

I love love love the Viva method, but I tried a different brand of paper towel and it worked the same way, it just added a little crisscross pattern on the cake. Very neat looking. I found an AWESOME BC recipe on here last night too, I couldn't stop sneaking it! It's got a stick of butter, 1 1/2 c of Crisco, 2 lbs of powdered sugar and 1/4c water, plus some vanilla and almond flavor. It's so good I almost don't want to share the cake!!!! I'll post my cake after I figure out how to hook up my camera.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:23am
post #8 of 9

I like the Snow White Buttercream recipe too. I used to use the paper towel or wax paper method UNTIL I tried the rollers, Melvira method, which is posted on the home page here at CC. Since using the rollers I can not imagine smoothing my icing any other way. It comes out perfect every single time.

Canned frosting does not work well and it is by far best to make your own if you can.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:28am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Canned frosting does not work well and it is by far best to make your own if you can.

I agree!! I want to use the roller method soon. I only have done the viva and people think my cakes are very smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%