Is All Butter The Same?

Baking By mcalhoun Updated 1 Apr 2006 , 5:34am by fearlessbaker

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 6

Albertson has their brand of butter on sale for $2 per pound and I was wondering if butter was butter or if I should stick to name brands. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I don't want to waste all the cookie ingrediants just to save a little on the butter.

Melissa

5 replies
sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 6

By law butter must have 80 percent milk fat.
(USDA) does grade the butter quality based on flavor, body, texture, color and salt. Beginning with the finest are AA (93 score) A (92 score) B (90 score) and C (89 score). Most brands in store are AA and A grades. You should be fine on what ever brand you use.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 6

Give the store brand a try. In many cases it comes from the same source. At first I was hesitant to try Kroger store brand shortening/butters but after a few phone calls, discovered the source was Bunge. These are the same people who supply Crisco.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 6

Just thought I'd add though that not all store brands are good. I tried Walmart brand veg shortening and was very disappointed with the color and consistency.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks I will stop by on my way home. It seems to be a pretty good price.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 5:34am
post #6 of 6

This is my own little rule: if I am making a cookie with a lot of ingredients
I use middle of the road stuff. Grocery store choc. chips, regular butter. If I am making something with very few ingredients then I go for the best I can get. Europeon butter and the best choc. I can afford.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%