Newbie To Forum! Hi!

Decorating By laurasc Updated 3 Apr 2006 , 7:13pm by 4cardsfanz

laurasc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurasc Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 18

I have a question re rolled fondant. My MIL gave me a box and I've never used it before even though I have an idea how. Anyone have any tried and true tips or suggestions? Is it easier to handle when it's warmed a little or at room temperature? Can it be tinted? If so, how? I figure I'm going to start simple and go from there.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

17 replies
ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 18

I have found with my experience that rolled fondant is easier to work with when it is room temperature- don't freeze it like I thought you could. You can warm it up and make it pliable by kneading it like dough/polymer clay. You can make it different colors. The Wilton paste colors work best for me or you could use any paste or powder color for that matter. If you use the liquid stuff, your fondant will definitely not be the same. If it starts to get a little sticky, add some powdered sugar to it just to get it back to where you started. It doesn't take a lot so be careful or it could end up really tough. Use a rolling pin to roll it out to your desired thickness- again some powdered sugar can help-don't use flour. Then you could put it over a cake that has a buttercream icing layer so you could achieve a super smooth finish. Cut out with cookie cutters, make flowers, etc. You can do a lot with it. Just don't get to discouraged if it starts cracking on you. It takes practice to get it just right! Good Luck!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 18

Hi there! I just wanted to say welcome to cc! You've found a great site!!! There are many MANY people here that always help try to help you out.

Everyone is so nice! I love it here, but watch out....you'll get addicted, LOL! (sorry, I can't help you much with the fondant!)

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 18

Welcome to CC. There is so much to learn here. Your going to be addicted just like the rest of us in no time! icon_biggrin.gif
Tabby

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 18

Hey there!

Welcome to the forum and all of us crazy cake decorators! You're going to LOVE it - most of us would consider ourselves Cake Central addicts and as one lady put it - our husbands are cake bachelors. Ha ha.

Anyway, since you have a "box" of fondant, it sounds like you have Wilton cuz I can't think of another brand that comes in a box. First of all - try not to taste it! Almost anyone who's tried it will agree that it's the nastiest thing ever. I don't know why they can't put some more flavoring or something in it to make it taste better, but it's still good to at least practice with. But other brands of fondant taste a million times better so don't let the taste of Wilton disuade you. I only used Wilton (cuz it was so much easier to find as opposed to other brands) until a couple months ago when I tried Satin Ice and Pettinice and I was amazed at the difference in flavor. But as far as you practicing with it - the Wilton will work just great. When you open it, just take maybe a quarter of the whole block at a time so it's easier to work with. You might want to try sticking it in the microwave for 5 seconds or so - it makes sense that it would be easier to work with but I've never tried it that way. But it's always worked fine without me doing that. Just knead it for a few minutes to loosen it up a bit. Then, when you're ready to roll it out - make sure you put lots of powdered sugar down to keep it from sticking, and turn the fondant after every couple of rolls until it's the thickness you want. It's usually rolled to a point where you can't see through it but you also don't want it too thick either - between 1/4 and 1/8 of an inch.

From there on - it all depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to cover a cake, make sure you cover it with buttercream first. Just a thin layer and make sure it's smooth. If it's too thick, the fondant will move all around. If it's not smooth enough, the fondant will have a lumpy appearance. It will probably be too much to type all the info about covering and smoothing a cake, but I think there's some instructions on the Wilton website and also try www.baking911.com. There might even be instructions on Cake central - I just haven't looked for them so I'm not sure.

One other thing to consider is if you want to practice a lot with fondant but don't want to spend the money to keep buying Wilton fondant - you can make something called marshmallow fondant. You make it yourself from marshmallows and most of us LOVE it - it's pretty much the same look and consistency of store bought fondant but a whole lot cheaper.

Anyway, let us know if you have any more questions - if there's anything else specific that you want to know, I'll be happy to help! In fact, everyone on this discussion forum is so knowledgable and helpful, so feel free to ask away whenever you have questions!

Have fun!

Melissa

karebere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karebere Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 18

Can't help with the fondant. Sorry! I am going to try some of the mmf soon since I have heard the other stuff tastes horrible!

I did want to say WELCOME! This is an awesome site. Everyone here is so helpful and knowledgeable it is wonderful. No one has a problem helping anyone out. I never feel stupid asking questions that may be extremely obvious to everyone else. I will also second the addiction part. I rarely go a day without checking in on what is going on here icon_smile.gif

Welcome and happy decorating@!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 18

Not sure how much I can add to the discussion but welcome to the forum, you will love it here! I have learned so much from all of these talented ladies...they are an inspiration to me.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 18

Welcome to CC Laura icon_smile.gif

laurasc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurasc Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks for the welcome everyone and for the advice ! thumbs_up.gif I'll have to fool around with it and see what comes of it.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the Wilton fondant taste karebere. I'll resist the urge to nibble while I work. Okay...maybe I won't resist the urge, I have never been able to resist the urge to sample while I cook/bake/decorate. But at least I'll be prepared. icon_biggrin.gif

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 18

Hi laurasc,

I just wanted to say welcome, welcome & welcome again.

Take care,

bird95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bird95 Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 3:15am
post #11 of 18

Welcome. This is the BEST place to learn! Ask and you will receive. The people here are so nice. so much help! Can ya feel the love icon_wink.gif

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 3:21am
post #12 of 18

Welcome! But I must warn you, CC is habit forming! icon_lol.gif

poppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppie Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 3:38am
post #13 of 18

just wanted to Hi you will love it here and learn so much. icon_razz.gif

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 18

JUST WANTED TO SAY WELCOME TO CC!! YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE IT HERE! icon_biggrin.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gif

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 18

Welcome to CC, Laura!

bfelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfelt Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 18

Welcome to CC Laura...you won't find a better cake decorating site. All the members are helpful and since they are all cake decorators themselves their advise is the best.

With the Wilton fondant...if you put a little Crisco on your hands while your kneading the fondant it helps with the cracking. Since the taste is already bad tapedshut.gif it doesn't matter if the Crisco changes the flavor and it doesn't affect the fondant's appearance.

Again, welcome and have fun practicing.

Becky

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:09pm
post #17 of 18

I just wanted to say welcome to CC... You will be addicted in NO time. TRUST ME!

4cardsfanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4cardsfanz Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:13pm
post #18 of 18

They are right!! This site is more addictive than my email! I love to look at all the cake ideas!! My husband likes to look with me. Everyone here is very helpful and full of great ideas!! ENJOY!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%