Please Help! My Imbc Is Separating!

Decorating By Shelly2005 Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 1:41am by Shelly2005

Shelly2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly2005 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:08am
post #1 of 6

I used the Italian Meringue BC recipe on the site plus I added about 2.5 cups of powdered sugar - we Like it a bit sweet here. Now the moment I add color to it, the BC separates and sweat a whoooole lot!!! I just made a pink elephant head for a client and after I left it for a while to set, a pool of pink sugar syrup formed around the cake! Could it be the intense Bangkok heat that's causing this??? or did I over beat the eggs? or should I change the butter shortening ratio and add more of shortening? What am I doing wrong? Please help me.

Sobbing huhuhu....

Michelle icon_cry.gif

5 replies
HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:17am
post #2 of 6

I've heard that adding powdered sugar to IMBC causes it to break down.
I don't know what to say to help you.
Sorry this happened!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:19am
post #3 of 6

Depending on what coloring you used this can possibly be the problem. Being that you added powdered sugar it might be bleeding from this??

I use only oil based colors. I have sweating in the summer but my color does not run. I think it might be a combination of factors causing this.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:20am
post #4 of 6

PS did you use shortening and butter??

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:40am
post #5 of 6

I just don't think you can add powdered sugar to IMBC without changing the structure. I think you are going to have to experiment with a powdered sugar based butterceam because IMBC isn't meant to be overly sweet.

Shelly2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly2005 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 1:41am
post #6 of 6

moydear77, I used 1.25 cup shortening and 2.75 cup butter and Americolor gel coloring.

Thank you all for the response.

Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%