How Do I Keep Cakes Moist?

Decorating By Katskakes Updated 24 Mar 2013 , 4:49am by kristenmbatt

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 1:52pm
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitallmom

I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY THE SIMPLE SYRUP METHOD. THING IS, I DON'T EVEN DRINK ALCOHOL LET ALONE PURCHASE IT- NOT HTE HARD STUFF ANYWAY, I DO OCCASIONALLY BUY A BOTTLE OF WHITE WINE FOR COOKING PURPOSES. ANY TIPS ON WHAT I COULD DO?

The liquor is totally optional. IF you still would like to have taste without the alcohol, you could also use extracts.

The brandy and rum extract are delicious!

rach1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rach1 Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 2:07pm
post #32 of 38

i just use water and sugar no alcohol at all

empress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
empress Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 10:03pm
post #33 of 38

I think moistness also has to do with no overbaking the layers. I want mine to be just done and pull them out as soon as I can. I also try to freeze mine. I think the freezing really helps with moistness and with ease of icing.
icon_biggrin.gif

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 2:24pm
post #34 of 38

I have not used the simple syrup method yet, but I do plan to. This weekend I tried soemthing that Sweetcakes had told me about on here. TRASHBAGS!!!!! I put my cakes layers in a trashbag about 15 minutes on cooling off, they were great, moist as ever. Thanks for the tip Sweetcakes, I appreciate it! usaribbon.gif

Connie

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:34pm
post #35 of 38

I didn't read through all the replies, but here is how I do it. As soon as the cake is out of the pan, I immediately wrap it in saran wrap while it is steeming hot. This keeps all moisture in. As soon as it cools, I put the base crumb coat on it. That will seal it quite well. It's important to seal the cake as that will keep the moisture in. Helen

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 7:20am
post #36 of 38

My cake deco teacher told us to use
brandy or
sugar syrup or
boiled, sieved apricot jam

Pearl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl123 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 8:47am
post #37 of 38

Great tips from everyone!
People always comment on how moist and fresh my cakes are. Even almost up to a week later after the function they are still eating it (seriously). I actually bake 2 days ahead (Am so slow at decorating and do this after hours so I need all the time). When it cools I cling wrap (I think you call it Saran wrap) it tightly and also pop in the freezer. Day 2, I take them out let them thaw a little and then brush with boiled Apricot jam all over. This is great even in keeping crumbs down, I never get crumbs in my icing. You don't taste the jam either at all.
I agree with some of the others - for the actual recipe, buttermilk works well in choc cakes and instant pudding too I think the instant pudding gives moisture whilst still maintaining a faily sturdy cake. I find that buttermilk makes it supermoist, which becomes a very soft cake to decorate.

Hope that helps, good luck!!

kristenmbatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristenmbatt Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 4:49am
post #38 of 38

I read on another forum that I should wrap my cakes before they completely cool and stick them in the freezer to lock in the moisture. Agree or disagree?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%