What Do You Do???

Lounge By riagirl Updated 6 Apr 2006 , 9:44am by o0lilnikki0o

riagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riagirl Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 8:43am
post #1 of 66

aside from being a cake artist?

i'm fairly new here but i see that there is such a diverse mix of people. i'm curious to see what you all do for real?

i'll start...

i'm an independent meeting planner who works from home as well as mom to my 2.5 yr old daughter

65 replies
dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 66

mum of three girls aged, 9, 7 and 5... work part time - 22.5hrs per week -1 day and 2 nights as a fraud officer within a bank.

Spend the rest of my time doing things for or at school.....

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 66

Where do I begin????

I'm the mother of 4 (5 if you count DH) - two boys (18 & 16) and two girls (14 & 10). I work fulltime as a bookkeeper/secretary for a construction company, volunteer at church and at all 3 schools and of course do cakes!

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 66

I'm a professional cook, but I live in a mostly tourist town, so my restaurant closes during the winter, but I hardly get any time to myself during the summer. I like to knit, crochet, and tat. I'm addicted to Geocaching. (www.geocaching.com) and sending time in nature in general, so I have plenty on top of the cakes to keep myself busy when not working.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 66

I'm an Educational Therapist, specializing in learning disabilities and attention difficutlies. I have private practice and have an office in my home. I do cakes/cookies for fun - and stress relief!

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 66

I'm a stay at home mom of a 7 yr old boy and 4 - 1/2 yr old girl. Prior to family I was the banquet and pastry chef at a private club. I plan on opening a New Orleans style deli in my area that serves muffalettas and po'boys within the next few years. Until then, I am researching into opening a home based cake business.

mjw15618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjw15618 Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 66

I'm a cancer researcher and a divorced mother of one (11 year old daughter). I also own a small farm and raise chickens, pygmy goats and organic vegetables. During the summer months I sell eggs, veggies and my baked goods at a local farmer's market. I really enjoy those Saturday mornings at the market! It's so different from my day job...I love my research, but at the end of the day I can't wait to get home and play in the dirt and hang out with my kid and our animals. And bake, of course!

Britton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britton Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 66

I'm a 21-year-old junior in college with a major in sociology. I don't know what I want to be when I "grow up." icon_smile.gif

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 66

I'm a casemanager who administers social assistance. And I work with people to help them become employable.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 66

for starters I'm the mother of a 6yr girl and 5 yr old boy. I was a stock broker in my bc life (before children).... right now I work part time at home for an insurance company. In a couple of months I'll be going back to work full time in the brokerage industy icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif so hubby can open his own business .... I volunteer at the kids schools, and bake cakes

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:14pm
post #11 of 66

Hi!

I'm the mother of a 17 year old son and work full time as a bad debt collector (the repo lady). A lovely job that I hate. I have always wanted to decorate cakes since I was a little girl...I found it amazing. I have been in collections for 20 years and I have found that this is not what I want to do anymore. I have been called every ugly word imaginable and threatened a few times....soooo I have taken the Wilton Courses over the past year and LOVED it. I do a lot of cakes on the side at home, but I am SERIOUSLY thinking of doing something with it as a profession and get away from collecting. I'm just getting too old to chase folks down anymore and I really wished that I hadn't waited so long to pursue my passion for decorating cakes. I am also married and have a small daylily farm that keeps the hubby and I quite busy from Spring until Fall. It is so worth the efforts when the daylilies are in bloom...like a little piece of heaven in my back yard.

That's my story...

Wanda

aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 66

I'm very new here but have enjoyed this site so much so far. I am a stay at home mom of 3, a 3yr old girl (turning 4 this month) a 2 yr old boy and a 5 month old boy. Besides staying extremely busy with them I have a gift shop that my mother & I own and I make homemade dog treats for it along with fused glass jewelry and now I am starting Wilton classes in April and this is becoming a new obsession!!! I think my husband is going to go crazy with all of my obsessions!! icon_lol.gif

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 12:05am
post #13 of 66

Im a wife a mother of 3 and a grandmother of 2.
Im a Costco cake decorator/cashier/member
service administrator. Pursuing my business as a decorator getting ready to retire but I figure I'll be busier then ever hoping my daughter will be able to help she can also decorate.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 1:02am
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut2

I'm a casemanager who administers social assistance. And I work with people to help them become employable.

I am a certified social worker and worked as a psychiatric social worker at an outpatient facility; later worked in foster care and adoption. So we have something in common peanut2.
Now I am in the legal field-primarily employment law litigation, which is extremely stressful. I have an adult child. I've been cake decorating for fun for years. I also dabble in the fine arts and anything really crafty. Only recently, have I thought of cake baking/design as a possible full-time career. usaribbon.gifbirthday.gif

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 1:41am
post #15 of 66

I guess we do have a few things in common, Sweetsuccess, but you've had much more stressful jobs than I've had. Working in the foster care system is something I've never wanted to do, because of the great amount of responsibility. I sure like your work, and wish we had painting in common! I love your cakes. Off topic but, how did you get that beautiful ruffle effect on your "Be Mine" cake?

finally928 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finally928 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 2:45am
post #16 of 66

What a great idea for a thread .. its interesting to see all the diversity here on the boards!!

Lets see, I am an administrative assistant / accountant / conference planner for my company. We publish information to help teachers and students in Massachusetts, as well as organizing conferences for professional development opportunities. Its a small office (only 3 full timers and one part time intern), so we all do a little bit of everything.

Additionally, I am a single mom to a wonderful 7 year old girl, chauffer that takes her to ice skating lessons once per week, assistant troop leader to her Girl Scout troop, volunteer at her school during functions and will be starting as a WMI next weekend! ((Yikes!!))

Oh yeah -- and I bake cakes when i have time -- which is almost never! hahaha ...

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 2:56am
post #17 of 66

I'm a baker for the Real Canadian Superstore. I only do bread there though so its not my dream job. Besides that I'm 20, so no kids at the moment. However I will be leaving Canada in August to go to France to be an au pair. I'm super excited and can't stop talking about my "new" family to be. icon_biggrin.gif

Junecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Junecakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 2:58am
post #18 of 66

I am a stay at home mom with two boys 6 and 31/2 years. In my past life I was a registered dietitan...still am I guess. So now I just tell people when they ask nutrition questions "do as I say not as I do!" icon_biggrin.gif I started decoratng as a creative outlet and has now become a passion and hopefully a future business

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 3:17am
post #19 of 66

I work at a print shop. I am the typesetter, I also run all the computers at the store we are networked to 4 printers and one large document printer (blueprints). I do all the ordering of stamps, business cards, labels, if we can order it I do it. I really do love my job. I am a wife of 30 years this year, we have two kids 26 and 23 our son is married and our daughter was born with multiple disabilities. I just started decorating cakes about a year ago, its so much fun!

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 4:22am
post #20 of 66

I am living the dream as a stay at home mom to two beautiful children and wife to a wonderful husband. Besides decorating and baking I volunteer at both schools and this year have been asked to chair the fundraisers for the American Cancer Society.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:06am
post #21 of 66

I'm a Respiratory Therapist with a 4 year BS degree from a Medical University. I used to primarily work with children and neonates. Currently I was fortunate enough to be chosen to help open a brand new Hospital here in the Pacific Northwest. I now work with patients of all ages from the premature baby to the 103 year young patient. It's a very stressful but rewarding (at times) job. I have a lot of people at work rely on me for guidance. I love to help all the other therapists nurses and patients. icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

toneg24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toneg24 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:22am
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrazacmom

I'm very new here but have enjoyed this site so much so far. I am a stay at home mom of 3, a 3yr old girl (turning 4 this month) a 2 yr old boy and a 5 month old boy. Besides staying extremely busy with them I have a gift shop that my mother & I own and I make homemade dog treats for it along with fused glass jewelry and now I am starting Wilton classes in April and this is becoming a new obsession!!! I think my husband is going to go crazy with all of my obsessions!! icon_lol.gif

That sounds like me, one less kid but my husband is going crazy with my hobbies.
I also am somewhat new here. I've been looking for a long while but just noticed all this neat stuff. I have twin girls, 4 1/2 and I get to be a stay at home mom for now. I also babysit one or two days a week for my Cousin. Those are my crazy days. I also have a passion for painting, I have discovered that I have a talent in Faux Finishing (walls), I would love to be able to make it a business, but now I am planning on going back to college for Nursing, 30 years old and back in school, scary thought?

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:27am
post #23 of 66

Wow! I don't even compare to any of you all! What interesting jobs!

I am a SAHM of two boys. Johnny is 3 will be 4 June 1st and David is going to be 15 mos in four days. I never thought I'd be a parent but I am and I love it. 'Course there are moments that I am like "What was I thinking!" icon_rolleyes.gif

I used to work full time as a retail manager. Yeah yeah, I quit college and decided to become a manager in retail. I have a two year degree (just a glorified HS diploma) and have aspirations to go back to school some day. Not sure if that will happen! I'm 34 and well, if I don't know what I want to do now....... icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

My DH is in the Navy and quite proud of the fact that he can afford for me to stay home with the boys. Sometimes I wish I worked full time just to remind myself that I do have another purpose in life and other skills besides changing diapers, picking up toys, and teaching my 3 yr old to blow his nose!

Besides cake decorating I love to write and draw! I get my technical writing skills from my father so I look for typos in everything I read, even manuals to electronics. You wouldn't believe the amount I find!!! And we are supposed to trust their products! Oh and I'm also pretty darn good at getting free things. If I buy something whether it's food, diapers, whatever, and it isn't as advertised, I go to the company's website, email them my questions/comments and I always get something out of it! I'm pretty proud of that!!!

Amy

katleg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katleg Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:55am
post #24 of 66

i am a construction worked as of now! haha, not exactly..

my fiance and i owned a skatepark for 3 years and just sold it this last december..

now we are building a 60ftx90ft metal building to have a personal skatepark on our land! so for the next few months i will be doing manual labor assembling the building and filling it full of ramps!

then ill get a real job icon_sad.gif

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:06am
post #25 of 66

I am a husband as well as a father of a 7 yr old.
I am a certified cook/chef. I worked my way up as an apprentice at a hotel to being the sous chef in my final year. We were very busy catering weddings and formal functions as well as a restaurant and pub.
From there went on to be the food and beverage manager of a busy 36 hole golf club. Next went to be an asst manager at Simon Fraser University. Now I work as a cook/supervisor for the gov. Great job, pay and hours.
I love to eat--especially desserts i.e CHEESECAKES and anything with GANACHE

riagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riagirl Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:09am
post #26 of 66

thanks for keeping this going, everyone! it is so interesting to hear what other people do in "real life"...so great to "know" all of you!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 1:58pm
post #27 of 66

I am also a respiratory therapist....I was happily suprised to see that I'm not the only one!! I love my job, and I work part time. I have a 3 year old and a just turned 1 year old. I love to garden, scrapbook and drive my husbanc crazy by redecorating and painting different rooms in our house when the mood strikes! My cake obsession is new, and I love it!

It's great reading about everyone!
Angie

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 2:21pm
post #28 of 66

I am a stay at home mother. i have 3 kids all boys 3,7, and 8. I baby sit one of my best friends son 5 days a week. Before i quit my job i was a manager at Whataburger for 4 years. My whole life (im only 24) i have only had 2 jobs out side of the home. Before kids and marrige i wanted to be an actress. Fell in love with my now hubby and decided to be a mom and wife instead. I will be going back to work in about 2 years and plan on working in a bakery.

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:40pm
post #29 of 66

I am a legal secretary outside of the home, and a bookkeeper for my hubands' landscaping business, a mother of three,(boys-16 & 15 and a girl who is 10) but we also have my best friend living with us and her two kids (9 yearold boy and 3 year old girl). So we have a very full house with five children constantly running around and I absolutely cannot keep them out of my frostings. My 10 year old daughter wants to decorate cakes, she is trying her best and I keep telling her that she has to practice pressure control before jumping in feet first. Four of the kids play baseball/softball, the 3 year old wants to soo badly but is just too young still. So Spring/Summer are really crazy for me.

Thanks for listening/reading me ramble on and on and on.....

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:29pm
post #30 of 66

You all sound so busy. I'm a SAHM with two kids, 7 and 3. I read at the local library for story hour once a week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%