Lemon Buttercream & Filling Recipe

Baking By smileyface Updated 9 Mar 2006 , 5:51pm by smileyface

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 11

My Mom has just requested a lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing for her birthday. I usually just make vanilla, almond or chocolate buttercream so I don't know if I can just use lemon juice or buy some lemon extract to make that flavor.

For those of you who have made this flavor cake and icing, what flavor fillings did you use. All I can think of is lemon pudding. I haven't made anything else! Oh yeah, it needs to be something that won't require refrigeration as the cake needs to travel a couple hours to my parents house this weekend. It's just for family but I wouldn't want it to spoil or go bad on the trip down there.

Any recipes or suggestions are welcomed.

THANKS!!

10 replies
freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 12:25am
post #2 of 11

I love a Raspberry Filling with Lemon Cake. You can certainly flavor your buttercream with either lemon juice or extract, with the juice you have to adjust your wet ingredients. I use lemon extract and a little lemon zest for added zip, Yummy...

Chocolate is also a good filling with lemon cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 3:13am
post #3 of 11

I usually use extract for the Lemon in lemon buttercream, but I believe there was a post recently about adding lemon juice to it.

For the filling, I like lemon curd, raspberry or blueberry is good as well. I use perserves that can be left out. You can also find premade lemon curd that will be fine out of the fridge. icon_smile.gif

Junecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Junecakes Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 3:17am
post #4 of 11

I have used premade lemon curd and it was very yummy. Also love the raspberry preserves too. Good luck!

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 3:19am
post #5 of 11

I add fresh lemon juice to my buttercream, just substitue for teh water and extract. Meyer lemons are the best, sweetest juice.

As for filling. Lemon curd is really good! It is not too difficult to make, but you can buy premade if you want as well. Also, add some lemon curd and zest to your cake batter to get a yummy lemon cake flavor!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:47am
post #6 of 11

I just made a lemon cake last week with lemon filling and buttercream. I used the DH box mix with an addition of lemon pudding and one egg to the mix. Made as usual

Filled it with the lemon pudding (I beleive it was Hunt's brand as they are not refridgereated when you get them)

For the icing I made my buttercream icing as normal, except for the water addition I substituted lemon juice for half of my water. Worked out great.

Everyone who tried this cake loved it. Hope this helps

Leily

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:51am
post #7 of 11

when folks mention raspberry 'preserves' as a filling are they referring to raspberry jam? and if so, does everyone run it through a colander to get the seeds out before using?

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:01am
post #8 of 11

I just made a couple of cakes with a raspberry filling and I got mine in a small tube from Cash and Carry. If you pay in cash, you don't need to show them a business license. It was delicious, and much better than if I had just used raspberry jam.

Cubsfan85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cubsfan85 Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:02am
post #9 of 11

Polaner makes a seedless rasberry jam. I used it for the filling in a lemon rasberry cake a couple of weeks ago. It tasted great.

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:08am
post #10 of 11

I was looking for some recipes and ran across this one and thought I would post it for you. I'm not sure about the refrigeration though.

LEMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

1 1/4 cups butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups powered sugar

Beat butter, lemon peel, and lemon juice in medium bowl on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Beat 2 to 3 minutes longer or until light and fluffy.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all the help! I think I will get some lemon extract and some lemons and see what I come up with. I don't know how to make lemon curd (not even sure what it is, LOL) and don't see a recipe for that here. I'll have to search for that on the forums. Maybe I will just pick up some raspberry preserves or pie filling and use that for a filling. Raspberry and lemon sounds good together.

THANKS AGAIN!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%