Royal Icing Flowers

Decorating By mixaleena Updated 16 Apr 2005 , 2:49pm by Lisa

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 3:40am
post #1 of 10

I had made a batch of royal icing flowers a few weeks ago when I made a cake and I have stored them in an airtight container on the top of my fridge. When I pulled the container out today to add more flowers I found that my roses had softened. (They were completely dry before I stored them, too.) I let them sit out without the lid on the container and they firmed right up. Is that supposed to happen? Are we supposed to store royal icing 'trinkets' in an airtight container or only loosely sealed?

Thanks.
Mixee

9 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 4:23am
post #2 of 10

If they were on top of your fridge, maybe the container got too warm from the fridge therefore creating a greenhouse effect in your container therefore making your flowers soft.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 4:51am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

If they were on top of your fridge, maybe the container got too warm from the fridge therefore creating a greenhouse effect in your container therefore making your flowers soft.

m0use...that is like something Mr. Wizard would say. So smart! Does anyone else remember Mr. Wizard? I might have been the only one watching that show--LOL! It does sound like there was some humidity in the container.

I like storing my royal pieces in a strawberry container (like they're sold in at the market) lined with a paper towel. I don't think they have to be stored air-tight. Just in a dry place where they won't get dusty.

Apieceofcake2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apieceofcake2 Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 4:55am
post #4 of 10

Did you make sure that everything you used to make the Royal Icing was absouletly grease free before making it?

CakeNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeNewbie Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 6:48am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

Does anyone else remember Mr. Wizard? I might have been the only one watching that show--LOL!

I'd just like to say I used to love Mr. Wizard!!! That's all. Just wanted to let you know you weren't the only one out there. icon_biggrin.gif

-Courtney

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 9:41am
post #6 of 10

My Wilton class teacher told us to store them at room temperature where air can get at them a bit - like in a shoe box on top of fridge until they are completely dry. She recommended a week. She says to then store them in air tight containers, room temperature and they will last up to 3 months (possibly more). She did tell us that when we think they're dry, they're usually NOT dry all the way through and to give it a few extra days.

Not sure what happened on yours. Very strange. How frustrating!!! Let us know if you figure it out, please?

Best regards,
~AngelWendy

angelkiss013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelkiss013 Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 10

I think that using the lid was the problem.
Not using the lid for at least a week and then you can put it on...
icon_wink.gif :

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 10

Based on responses I just must not have let them dry long enough then. They were out on my kitchen table for a few hours so if we are talking days then maybe that was the problem...as for humidity, I don't know because it is pretty dry in my house, but who knows, stranger things have happened.

Hey on a side note, anyone know how long Fondant Roses can be stored?

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 10

I was told you should store royal icing flowers in a tin after they have airdryed for a couple days. I made some about a month ago and have had them store in my tin and they are still fine.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

Does anyone else remember Mr. Wizard? I might have been the only one watching that show--LOL!

I'd just like to say I used to love Mr. Wizard!!! That's all. Just wanted to let you know you weren't the only one out there. icon_biggrin.gif

-Courtney

Phew! Thanks Courtney. I hoped I wasn't alone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%