Caramel Wedding Cake

Decorating By Jenn123 Updated 3 Sep 2015 , 10:47pm by Shockolata

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 20

I have a bride who wants a caramel wedding cake. We haven't discussed decorations yet. I have a delicious recipe (Caramel Frosting 1 from the recipe box) but this is not a pretty icing. It is impossible to smooth and would never allow borders or anything like that. Does anyone have a recipe that doesn't crust so quickly or recommend a "bought" icing that tastes nice? Could I just add caramel flavoring to BC and use the real caramel as filling? Please share your ideas...

19 replies
dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 20

Caramel cake is my absolute favorite. But the icing IS very quick to dry..almost like a penuche. I wonder if you could make a buttercream icing or cream cheese icing with the caramel filling and maybe a pretty caramel glaze or ganache?

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 20

you could add some caramel to the buttercream... try nestle caramel top n fill if you can find it.. just a few tablespoons.

k

Jenn123 Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:23am
post #4 of 20

Thanks, I'll try that.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:31am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

Thanks, I'll try that.

Jenn123, the Nestle Top'n'Fill is the same as "Dulce de Leche" which you will definetly find in any stores that sells items from latin america.
Ive used buttercream with top and fill for fillings but never for icing, if you dont add too much I can't see why it woudlnt work, only problem is that you wont get a white icing this way. What is the cake going to be like inside??
Nati

Jenn123 Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:37am
post #6 of 20

I'm not sure Nati. I just had a bride ask me what I thought about caramel icing. I've never really used it so I thought I would get some advice from the experts. I thought maybe a butter cake? I asked her if she was willing to have a brown icing but I haven't gotten a response from her yet. (email)

What do you think?

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:43am
post #7 of 20
Quote:

I'm not sure Nati. I just had a bride ask me what I thought about caramel icing. I've never really used it so I thought I would get some advice from the experts. I thought maybe a butter cake? I asked her if she was willing to have a brown icing but I haven't gotten a response from her yet. (email)

What do you think?

Hm i've just got thoughts all over the place : ), i know that french buttercream is made with regular sugar that is made into a syrup, i wonder if you could make it with dark brown sugar, this will definetly give you a caramel flavour. French buttercream, is similar to Italian Buttercream in that it doesnt crust, but I find it a bit hard to smooth, but it is 100% better tasting than any buttercream made with non butter products. There are so many options, i guess you need to speak to her and ask her exactly what she's after, any caramel flavoured icing is not going to be white, unless you can get a colourless artificial flavouring for buttercream(dunno if that even exists)
I have recipes for buttercakes with caramel fillings, caramel mudcakes, and some icings. Once you consult with the bride, if she is after anything similar i'd be more than happy to pass on the recipes.
The french buttercream recipe has been posted in the forums, if you want that i can send you a link to it.
Nati

Darra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darra Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:47am
post #8 of 20

this cake is a caramel cake frosted with caramel frosting but the decorations and piping are all buttercream:

(i didn't make this, it's from a bakery)
LL

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:55am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

Quote:

Thanks, I'll try that.

Jenn123, the Nestle Top'n'Fill is the same as "Dulce de Leche" which you will definetly find in any stores that sells items from latin america.

I was just reading about dulce de leche and wondered what it was... thanks

Jenn123 Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 11:49am
post #10 of 20

Thanks for the recipe offer! I'll let you know if I hear back from her. I certainly appreciate all the help. It is so nice to have experienced people to bounce ideas off of.

cakergreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakergreg Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 20

Choco-pan has a light tan colored, carmel flavored fondant.

www.choco-pan.com

SHenyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHenyd Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 20

Dede Wilson has a Caramel Rum Cake with Carmelized Walnuts in "The Wedding Cake Book". It looks really pretty. The BC is tan in color, but she did pipe a border with it. Check to see if your library has the book. I've heard from people on CC that they've loved the recipes they've tried from her books.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 20

Hi. Does anyone have the recipe to share? My library doesn't carry the book anymore.

Thanks

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 20

Caramel can be overmelmingly sweet.  Have you considered a caramel filling.  I recently did a couple of cakes (chocolate espresso and vanilla) with caramel filling. pls feel free to message me if you would want the caramel recipe

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 20

I made a caramel cake recently. It's in my photos if anyone wants to see. The only thing I would do differently this time is to let the sugar caramelise more and NOT use the gelatine that the recipe called for. The filling was mascarpone mixed with a bit of whipped cream and caramel sauce (home made) with the addition of some caramel syrup (Monin). Delicious! Mascarpone makes a smooth, creamy, and glossy frosting that is easy to pipe with. I prefer using mascarpone to butter for two reasons: first it is not too greasy on the mouth and second it does not require a lot of sugar to be used for fillings and toppings. It also has a mechanism that when you add too much sugar, it turns runny. LOL. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 6:18pm
post #16 of 20

shockolata, interesting that you use marscapone instead of butter -- i don't use a lot of it but isn't it twice the price?

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 7:01pm
post #17 of 20

Thank you all for your replies. Actually i need some advice. Im making a 6 layer 6 inch cake (2 6 x 3 pans). Its for my uncles bday so not getting pd. Thinking of making a combo of brown sugar and caramel so thinking of brown sugar cake with caramel bc or visa versa. Im torn on which one. I would love to make a brown sugar IMBC b/c the taste is amazing but its costly; or maybe doing a brown sugar cake with a caramel decorator frosting or even a filling of caramel (homemade).

So i would appreciate any suggestions on flavor combos. Cake and bc/frosting will be from scratch. Will be buying the ingredients tomorrow...cake for Saturday.

Thanks in advance!!

Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:11pm
post #18 of 20

@-K8memphis  Mascarpone 250 g and butter 250 g are exactly the same price in the UK. :)  Here is a picture of my Caramel Lotus cake. The caramel is the lighter coloured filling. The top is caramel jelly - it was meant to be a sauce but I think the recipe was not correct. One could easily make this cake for a wedding and cover it in fondant or use more of the mascarpone caramel frosting to pipe designs.

55e8b7a031106.jpeg

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:18pm
post #19 of 20

whoa think i'll place an order -- but the shipping charge would kill me hahaha

in the states -- at least in west tn marscapone is twice the price of butter

mm that looks good

Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 10:47pm
post #20 of 20

I just checked Walmart in TN (postcode 37024 and 37027) and their mascarpone is 37.3 cent /oz whereas butter is 40.5 cent/oz. Crisco is cheaper but Crisco is not butter. I was shocked to input 'butter' in the store's search engine and be shown margarine upon margarine with all real butters marked as 'out of stock'. I can appreciate that substituting Crisco with mascarpone and reducing icing sugar would raise a bakery's costs, but if your clients are complaining about frostings being too sweet, then mascarpone is the answer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%