Mmf Experts... Question For You!

Baking By ChristiRose Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 2:00am by JanH

ChristiRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristiRose Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:38am
post #1 of 7

Hello!
I attempted to make my first batch of MMF tonight and, wow, was I disappointed! I have read so many articles and information in the forums about MMF that I thought for sure I wouldn't screw it up. My problem is that I don't have a mixer so I did it all by hand and followed the alternative MMF recipe on this site exactly... however I didn't even get to the last 1/4 of the powdered sugar I was suppose to use because I physically could not knead it anymore! I used even more Crisco then the recipe called for and kept adding more icon_smile.gif I used Jet Puff mini marshmallows and the good powdered sugar. I did try to tint it pink after I melted the mm with Wilton paste. It is REALLY THAT HARD to knead? What do you think I'm doing wrong? It ended up feeling really grainy, also. I will try another batch tomorrow. Also, can I decorate a cake with MMF and leave it overnight at room temperature?
This site is a gold mine for information, thank you all in advance for any responses!
Christi

6 replies
jacksjoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacksjoyce Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:43am
post #2 of 7

Did you add a couple of tablespoons of water to the marshmallows while melting them? I never use a mixer on mine and it always comes out perfectly. 1lb of fresh small marshmallows?

ChristiRose Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:46am
post #3 of 7

Yes, I did add the water to it. Hmmm....

ChristiRose Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:48am
post #4 of 7

Oops, I just realized that I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry!
Christi

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:50am
post #5 of 7

The microwave is MMF's best friend....when it gets too hard, I pop it in for about 12 seconds and it softens up again and I am able to kneed more sugar or just add color, etc......

acgref Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acgref Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:54am
post #6 of 7

The same thing happened to me the first time I tried it. I was so excited to give it a shot and I was fairly disappointed. Like you, I kept adding powdered sugar and it was so hard to knead, but I kept it up until my hands were aching. It looked pretty good so I gave up. I was only making stuff for a hamburger cake, like the cheese and tomatoes so it didn't have to be perfect. Anyway, I put them on the cake and then it started "melting." It's hard to explain. If you look at the cake in my photos, you can sort of see. It's all shiny and floppy. I don't know if I did something wrong or what, but yeah, I was not happy either.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%