Need Help With Buttercream Recipe

Decorating By TJSCAKES Updated 4 Mar 2006 , 3:09am by TJSCAKES

TJSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJSCAKES Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 8

I have a buttercream recipe that calls for egg whites, powder sugar, & salt to be whipped to stiff peaks over a double boiler before being added to the other mixture. My 2 questions are :

#1..can I substitute Meringue powder for the egg whites and then not have to use the double boiler.

or
#2 can I just use a stainless steel bowl over a pot of boiling water and whip it that way?

thanks in advance!

7 replies
Mslou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mslou Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 8

The recipe you have is for Italian Meringue Buttercream. If you sub meringue powder, you won't get the right consistency. It is not difficult to make, just follow the directions and use a thermometer.

ayost43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayost43 Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 8

I don't know the answer to the first question, but yes you can use a metal bowl on a pot of boiling water.

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 12:29am
post #4 of 8

Are you wanting not to cook at all, or not to cook in a double boiler?

You need to cook the sugar for meringue buttercream.

You can cook it with the whites in a double boiler (not optional) for Swiss MBC, or alone to add to room temperature beaten whites (in a regular pot on the stove) for Italian MBC.

TJSCAKES Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 12:36am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonWhisk

Are you wanting not to cook at all, or not to cook in a double boiler?

You need to cook the sugar for meringue buttercream.

You can cook it with the whites in a double boiler (not optional) for Swiss MBC, or alone to add to room temperature beaten whites (in a regular pot on the stove) for Italian MBC.

I don't mind cooking it, I was just wondering if Meringue powder could be substituted for the whites ..but if the sugar needs to be cooked, then instead of a double boiler, I wanted to use a stainless steel bowl over a pot of boiling water. The recipe isn't quite a swiss BC or Italian BC, the meringue is mixed with a Crisco & powder sugar mixture......

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 12:40am
post #6 of 8

If a recipe says to use a double broiler, you sure as can use a bowl over water.

Why do you want to use meringue powder? I am not sure if it would work. If you're worried about the eggs, I believe you can use pasteurized whites, but if you're cooking the eggs there's no need to worry.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 12:42am
post #7 of 8

There is a product on the market usually found in the health food section called "Just Whites" It's a powdered pasuteurized egg white. Usually you can reconstitute it with warm water and use it that way to get the same texture as regular egg whites. Good thing is is you don't have to worry bout the salmonella thing.

TJSCAKES Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 3:09am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncurd

If a recipe says to use a double broiler, you sure as can use a bowl over water.

Why do you want to use meringue powder? I am not sure if it would work. If you're worried about the eggs, I believe you can use pasteurized whites, but if you're cooking the eggs there's no need to worry.

i was just curious..... icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%