Help Me Price This & Tell Me If My Cake Will Be Okay

Decorating By kathik Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 9:34pm by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 6

I was at a friend's house this morning picking up her Passover order and her father had flown in for a surprise visit. So she introduces us, referring to me as "THE" baker. So he asks if I make sponge cake (a traditional Passover favorite), to which I reply thet of course I make sponge cake. Okay, so now he asks if I can make one by tonight because he's leaving in the morning. I explain that my kitchen hasn't been turned over for Passover yet, but he doesn't keep kosher, so he says that's fine, but actually can you make two? Okay, so now I need to figure out what to charge. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh, by the way I just came back from scraping the overflow of the second cake off the bottom of my oven...it was actually on fire! Hopefully I am venting (the fan, not the post) enough that the cake won't taste burnt??? Am I going to have to crank out another one by tonight? icon_redface.gif

So, back to my original question, how do I figure out how to charge for this?

Thanks,
Kathi

5 replies
Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 6

Can't help but will bump

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 6

No idea, but here's another bump!

heathery13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathery13 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 6

Don't have any idea! Don't you hate when one becomes two and you aren't even sure you wanted to do 1.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 6

What do you normally charge for cakes? Do you have to frost them or decorate?

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 6

Well, my cake fell apart when I turned it over to cool. icon_sad.gif I probably had the oven door open too long when I was cleaning up the mess. So, now I have a third one in the oven!

These cakes don't get frosted. He wants to take them back and freeze them for Passover. They are often serve with fruit or a fruit sauce.

As for what I normally charge, well, I'm still fairly new to the cake decorating part of everything. I've only sold a few cakes before. I'm selling a bunch of cakes for Passover, but I wasn't selling a sponge cake because I thought everyone knows how to make one. Anyway, ingredients wise I have invested about $10.00. I'm going to run out for boxes, and I have invested 1/2 hour mixing time, 2 1/2 hours baking time, 2 1/2 hours cooling time, 1/2 hour cleanup. Obviously, I am not including anything to do with my flaming disaster. icon_rolleyes.gif I was thinking $25.00 each, but I'm not sure if that is too high or not.

Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%