Results Of My Box Vs. Scratch Experiment...

Decorating By snarkybaker Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 4:30am by twooten173

djrob318 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djrob318 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:59pm
post #31 of 82

txkat- please include me in the recipe list also!

Thanks in advance

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:59pm
post #32 of 82

I'd really like to be included for some recipes as well, if you are willing to share. I'd like to try some great from scratch cakes.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:02pm
post #33 of 82

Wow, some yummy recipe ideas here today! I use almost all mixes and have been verry happy with my results, especially when I've enhanced them from ideas from cc'rs.

txkat, your cakes sound wonderful. I'd love to have the recipes too if you're inclined to share. I don't know what cognac tastes like but that vanilla cognac cake sure sounds good!

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:18pm
post #34 of 82

I would also love your recipes! Thanks!!!!

[email protected]

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:19pm
post #35 of 82

txkat - sounds like alot of us would love to try your recipes!! They sound awesome and I would love to try some really great scratch cakes. I use doctored DH because of consistent results which I've yet to find in any of the scratch recipes I've tried.

Can you put your recipes here is CC's recipe file so that you don't have to do multiple PM's???? Than we all could try and review for future CC'ers!!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:21pm
post #36 of 82

Wow those recipe's sound delicious. Could I also be on the list for your recipe's too. I bake from scratch because that is what I grew up on. But I have to admit I have never tasted a doctored box recipe. Regular box cake, I do not like. My customers buy my cakes because they are made from scratch. Maybe one day I will try a doctored recipe on them and see what happens icon_wink.gif

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:36pm
post #37 of 82

can i be added to the list as well. i have recently switched from scratch to mix and i get 10times more compliments then before. Maybe it also depends what peopel are use to.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:38pm
post #38 of 82

Txkat, I too would like to have your recipes to try amoung my local group of testers. Fun! Thanks in advance!

Peachshortcake, thanks for the chocolate cake recipe. I printed it out and am going to compare it to my Aunt Jean's Chocolate Cake recipe that everyone always flips over! It is totally fabulous and I think the two cakes are very very similar. I'll let you know. icon_smile.gif

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:39pm
post #39 of 82

I too would love to get some of your recipes if you would like to share them! I have always baked from scratch and prefer it to boxes any day! I would just like some new recipes to try! TIA

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:59pm
post #40 of 82

Please post your recipe, if you don't mind! It sounds like there are a lot of us out here drooling for that vanilla cognac cake!

eatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatCakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:00pm
post #41 of 82

Add me to the interested in recipes list!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:04pm
post #42 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

What a cool way to get honest results on your cakes!

I love that you did it, and I love the results you posted. I've always been a scratch baker, and I always will be, but it's nice to see some good results from a basically blind unbiased taste test like that! Way to go! thumbs_up.gif

It is interesting to hear your results but they certainly can't be called blind unbiased or even just unbiased. They weren't the same kind of cake or icing! I have had a lot of luck with doctoring box mixes and people have asked me for my recipe! They can't believe it when I tell them that I added and substituted some things into a box mix!

I Agree that sometimes You can't beat a scratch cake especially those specialty flavors that sound sooo good!

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:08pm
post #43 of 82

TxKat, we are all after your recipes including me! Please send me a PM with the recipes or let us know how you will be posting if you are able. Thanks! They all sound so delicious. I can't wait to try them.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:10pm
post #44 of 82

I'd love your recipes too! Did people at your party know that you had made some from scratch and others not? Just curious. Aside from carrot, pound or spice, I've never had a really good scratch cake. This is why I'm so interested in your recipes. Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:12pm
post #45 of 82

txkat.... I too would love the 2 white recipes.. vanilla and white choc if you send them out.

It was great to read about your experiement... I committed to being a scratch baker myself and have often wondered if it was worth it... I ultimately decided it was because of the self satisfaction and pride I get from it.... but it's great to hear that in a "taste test" the scratch cakes were favored by far. even though it's not scientific it still is a good indication. thumbs_up.gif

thanks!

lsugraduate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsugraduate Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:12pm
post #46 of 82

Hey, I would love to have your recipes! Your cakes had my mouth watering! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif [email protected]

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:16pm
post #47 of 82

Hmm. Well "Blind and unbiased" in this case would apply to the fact that the tasters didn't necessarily know that they were going be giving feedback that would be applied to the ongoing "box versus scratch" question, even if they weren't tasting "the same cake or the same icing." They just told her which cakes they preferred, based on texture and flavor, and we all can see the result. I think it's terrific.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:22pm
post #48 of 82

Thanks for posting the results of your test. That's really interesting. I only bake from scratch and it's nice to hear that people still prefer scratch when they don't know which is which. I was never a cake fan until I started making my own. I would always request the corner piece at birthdays, if possible and polite so that I could just eat the frosting. I especially didn't like chocolate cake because it just didn't seem like chocolate to me.

Now, chocolate is my favorite cake. My recipe is similar to Peachshortcake's recipe. Mine uses buttermilk instead of sour cream but they have the same effect.

I think nothing can beat the taste of real vanilla and real butter. Some people just know they like them better but just don't know why.

I'm always on the lookout for new recipes and that vanilla cognac one sounds interestingicon_smile.gif If you don't mind one more request... icon_wink.gif

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:30pm
post #49 of 82

DITTO...add to me to the list of CC's who would like to try your recipes

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:44pm
post #50 of 82

OK--I'm game, too. If you'll pm the recipes to me, I'd really like to try my hand at it. Many thanks! This is very nice of you to share.

peggylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggylicious Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:33pm
post #51 of 82

I am a from scratch baker too. Nothing can compare to a from scratch cake. If you use good quality ingredients you will surely get good results. Thanks txcat for posting this thread.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:36pm
post #52 of 82

Ok I may be going out on a limb with this, but maybe it has to do with age. I think the younger generation is more used to the taste of cake mixes, doctored or not. There is probably more sugar in cake mixes, and more of who knows what! I personally do use doctored cake mixes for my cakes. I tried scratch in the beginning, but my family and friends preferred the "doctored" cake mix. The scratch cakes were made with cake flour, could this be the difference? If I found a recipe that tasted better than the doctored cake I would definately use it!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:46pm
post #53 of 82

txkat ... Thanks so much for giving us the results of your experiment! Please add me to your list of people who would LOVE to have your recipes!!! They sound heavenly! icon_smile.gif

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:55pm
post #54 of 82

can you post the recipes in the recipe section? maybe label them "taste test winners" so we know. i would love to try them, i haven't had much luck with people preferring my scratches, even though i think they're good. people say they're drier, which in a way they are, but the flavor is better and they just aren't "gooey moist". i think they're more dense vs. dry. anyway, i can't seem to get people too on board with them, i keep trying though.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:47pm
post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Ok I may be going out on a limb with this, but maybe it has to do with age. I think the younger generation is more used to the taste of cake mixes, doctored or not. There is probably more sugar in cake mixes, and more of who knows what! I personally do use doctored cake mixes for my cakes. I tried scratch in the beginning, but my family and friends preferred the "doctored" cake mix. The scratch cakes were made with cake flour, could this be the difference? If I found a recipe that tasted better than the doctored cake I would definately use it!

Does "50-ish" count as "younger generation? shhh.gif

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #56 of 82

There is a world of difference between scratch and mixes and I think both of them have their advantages. If you want what you are used to, then you are probably going to want a mix, if you want something that is interesting you probably would love a good scratch mix. Personally, I prefer scratch. I agree with the generation thing. I think there has been about a 20 year period where people have gone hog wild with mixes. In today's rushed society, these little things are pretty convenient and not bad tasting. I made mixes for a long time (pre getting into the deco thing), and now that I've found some fabulous scratch recipes, when I make the mix cakes, even doctored, I can taste that artificial preservative stuff in it. I've heard platic-y, and that pretty much sums it up. Not that I won't eat it. I'll take cake any way I can get it! icon_razz.gif

Oh yeah, and add me to the list that would like to see the recipes icon_smile.gif

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:14pm
post #57 of 82

I too would love the recipes for the vanilla cognac and the white chocolate cake (if you don't mind sharing them!). Please, please post them in the recipe section - you'll be PMing all day if you send them out to everone that wants them! LOL

Kelly

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:32pm
post #58 of 82

Please add me to the recipe list!!! icon_biggrin.gif

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:23pm
post #59 of 82

The chocolate cake recipe I use is on the back of the Hershey Cocoa box. The recipes on the back of Swans Cake Flour are pretty good. Also, try allrecipes.com
Happy Baking and Decorating

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:10pm
post #60 of 82

and another hand waving in the air

oooo oooo oooo me too me too!

for the cake recipes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%