Peppermint Paddy (Har Har) Cake

Decorating By cordy Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 4:43pm by MommyBunny

cordy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 17

So my kids are buttheads. I made a filling for a cake last night with butter cream, peppermint extract and crushed Thin Mint cookies. I plan on putting it in a devil's food cake for a St. Patrick's party this weekend. I think it tastes so good and am having to refrain from eating it by the spoonful, but they both spit it out!! Am I crazy? Are my taste buds deranged??

16 replies
Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 17

Sounds good to me. How old are the kids? I know a lot of young kids don't care for the minty taste. Thats how I know my thin mints are safe, hehe.

cordy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 17

They aren't that young, my son is 9 and my daughter is 5. My hubby said he liked it but I can NEVER get a straight answer out of him! Oh well, I think its yummy icon_biggrin.gif I'll post a picture if I ever get my FBCT on it.

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 17

my kids dont like mint at all so they would spit it out. They are 6, 6 and 7. I wouldnt be offended. I dont think mint is high on the like list for kids.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:09am
post #5 of 17

OMG, thin mint cookie filling.... making my mouth water. Sounds wonderful. I think it stinks that I never get Girl Scout cookies. They don't come to the door selling and we're not allowed to have stuff like that at work. icon_sad.gif

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:18am
post #6 of 17

I want a piece!!!!! Sounds yummy to me!!

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:21am
post #7 of 17

It sounds absolutely FABULOUS! What do kids know? ha! And husbands - they can keep their opinions to themselves! Wish I was closer, I'd come over for a slice!

Thin Mints are awesome - A fun friend of mine taught me a really good drink a few years back called a Dirty Girl Scout - tastes JUST like a thin mint. They can be served as shots or drinks, and boy are they tasty! I don't know about the name, but they are awesome! Creme de Menthe, Creme de Cocoa, Vodka and Cream. Yum!

VACakelady - what a bummer you don't get GS Cookies! I get mine from troops selling them at the grocery store - it's great!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:22am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACakelady

OMG, thin mint cookie filling.... making my mouth water. Sounds wonderful. I think it stinks that I never get Girl Scout cookies. They don't come to the door selling and we're not allowed to have stuff like that at work. icon_sad.gif

There's always girl scouts in front of our grocery stores.... couldn't you get them there? Also the Keebler Elves make a "grasshopper" cookie that is VERY much like thin mints - yet available year round! icon_smile.gif

Anyway - if it was peppermint-y, I know I would've hated it as a kid.... I like thin mints but I don't usually like chocolate covered mints.... I like Wintergreen or vanilla-mint or spearmint but not peppermint. I think it'll be fine in your cake. Just as long as the kids aren't eating it!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:27am
post #9 of 17

That sounds devine, everyones tastes buds are different so I wouldnt really worry too much about that..the only thing I would worry about is being the only one around to eat it all.

~ALicia

PS dont know where you are from but if you need help with this I am more then willing to take some of it off your hands.

hazelina82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelina82 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:31am
post #10 of 17

I LOVE minty stuff! I have six nieces and nephews and they're not fans of minty stuff...which is probably why they hate brushing their teeth icon_biggrin.gif I added a tiny amount of mint extract to my frosting so it's not so overwhelming. Your frosting idea sounds great!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 5:34am
post #11 of 17

My kids are 5 and 7 and both hate mint. I have to buy them watermelon flavored toothpaste. Gross!

Don't take it personally...I've made many a delicious cake that my kids won't touch. They just want plain old chocolate and vanilla.

cordy Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 17

Just a little update, I uploaded the finished cake to my pictures. It was WAY yummier than it looked ;P I am still practicing with really simple transfers...

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 17

It sounds so yummy, sometimes you never know about kids.

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 17

I just made a cake for my granddaughters Girl Scout Ceremony that was chocolate filled with buttercream and crushed up thin mints. They all loved it!
LouAnn

kdkamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdkamp Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 17

That sounds great! My kids are 10, 8, & 3 and they love mint. I'll have to try it for them.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:03am
post #16 of 17

I haven't seen the first girl scout selling cookies at any of the grocery stores either! No fair! I love the Keepler Grasshoppers, but it's the Do-si-do's that I want too! <pout>

MommyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyBunny Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:43pm
post #17 of 17

I know my oldest loves the mint flavor, my son on the other hand hates it. So I think it depends on the kid.

I am sure it's wonderful though...i love mint stuff.

Patricia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%