Cake Mix In Bulk

Business By SisterSister Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 1:47am by littlecake

SisterSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SisterSister Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #1 of 10

To keep cost down we are looking for a mix that we can purchase in bulk. Does anyone have a preference or is there a brand out there that is comparable to DH?

9 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:18am
post #3 of 10
scarlett873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarlett873 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 10

I have decided that I am totally in love with this forum!! You guys are a fountain of knowledge and search masters! thumbs_up.gif

SisterSister Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks Jan for your help

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 10

I have tried some bulk cake mixes and I found that the "just add water and oil" ones are horrible and I wouldn't recommend those. I am in the process of trying them again with my distributor and I'm waiting for him to drop by samples of Dawn brand mixes that include eggs. However the initial price my rep gave me worked out to about .15 cents more per lb. then the BC brand. In the end I may still have to embarrass myself buying the cases through Walmart! I just hate having to go through the check out and them ringing up hundreds of boxes! I wish I could do it through the service desk and be more descrete!!

SisterSister Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 10

Thank all of you for your help.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcaker

I have tried some bulk cake mixes and I found that the "just add water and oil" ones are horrible and I wouldn't recommend those. I am in the process of trying them again with my distributor and I'm waiting for him to drop by samples of Dawn brand mixes that include eggs. However the initial price my rep gave me worked out to about .15 cents more per lb. then the BC brand. In the end I may still have to embarrass myself buying the cases through Walmart! I just hate having to go through the check out and them ringing up hundreds of boxes! I wish I could do it through the service desk and be more descrete!!

i used dawn, and they were more expensive...i used them for a few years, and had alot of problems with the sales rep price gouging...there were times during wedding cake season ...i got so busy i couldn't watch him every minute....one order was 300.00 in creased from the prior one...they just kept jacking up the prices....they'll charge you as much as they can, and they charge everyone different prices.

anyhoo

i'm back at walmart with my million boxes....it's a pain in the butt....but i think you just really can't get much cheaper.

and

(this is gross) distributers many times bring you some of the insects they got in the warehouse....as a lil bonus for ya....i'm blonde so it took me awhile to figger out where they were comming from.

i'll never go back to a distributer...i finally got rid of the pests....

and i'm saving a mint going to wally world.

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:36am
post #9 of 10

littlecake: Thank you for that tip! I was suspicious with the price to start, but thought if I really liked it, I would "haggle" with him for a better price. The mixes would have to be just like DH and the price would have to be cheaper for me to switch, especially after hearing your experience icon_confused.gif
I'm now wondering if I'm getting the best price for my dark and white chocolate disks that cost me $43 for the case to use for my ganache'??? Maybe I should look around a bit more.
What a shocker to get a $300 increase!! icon_surprised.gif Did you ever question them?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:47am
post #10 of 10

after i caught it...i threw a big fit and they gave me 300.00 in merchandise.

the DH chocolate cake mix is so much better than dawns was....my sales have actually increased.

i got in touch with the parent company for DH, they don't sell 50 pound bags, pillsbury does....but i'm die hard DH girl now.

i don't know about other companys, but dawn always acted like buying from them was like playing the stock market....but what i found "funny" the things that constantly went up were the things i used most....

ha ha...one time he told me my boxes went up because the paper stock went up...and he'd talk about wheat prices and stuff....ugh....at wally world i don't feel so abused....if only they delivered....oh yeah heres another fun story...

they had my shop key, because the truck came at 5:00 in the morning...they'd usually drop the stuff off, and i'd leave a blank check on the counter for em....

one day i come to work...DOOR IS HANGING WIDE OPEN!...the driver forgot to close it.....it scared the crap outta me, i thought i'd been robbed!....thank God no one came in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%